PDA

View Full Version : 1834 Running Boar Hard Times Token!

Donnie B
01-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Got out on Saturday for a few hours before the storm hit. My friend, Rick, invited me to hit a few mountain sites. It was a steep climb at first but when we got to the top it leveled out nicely. The ground was hit or miss. In some spots it was frozen solid and I spent 30 minutes on one target chipping away at the permafrost. In other areas, it was soft as butter (mainly on the sides of the hills). I have been a detectorist for 24 years and had never found a Hard Times token. I got my very first and it's the Running Boar variety. Thanks to Danny (Del) for the attribution and photo of a non-dug example. Fascinating history on these tokens.659266592765928659296593065931

Lodge Scent
01-21-2019, 08:16 AM
That's a really nice find there Donny B. Not a bad example to find for your first HTT.

calabash digger
01-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Nice!

Full Metal Digger
01-21-2019, 03:08 PM
Really great find! Great design on it too. No mention of denomination though. Was it equal to a penny (or cent)? Glad you were able to get out before the snow hit. Happy hunting, Dave.

Donnie B
01-21-2019, 03:55 PM
Really great find! Great design on it too. No mention of denomination though. Was it equal to a penny (or cent)? Glad you were able to get out before the snow hit. Happy hunting, Dave.

It's the size of a copper Large Cent so I would assume at this time period (1834) it was traded as a Cent. It states that it is "My substitute for the U.S. Bank" which refers to the controversy of the times involving Andrew Jackson and the bank. The history is quite interesting on how these tokens came about.

Digger Don
01-21-2019, 05:05 PM
Vert nice token and cool history behind it!!:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
01-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Very cool find, congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
01-22-2019, 04:36 PM
That is an awesome token with an interesting history behind it! It came out of the ground in pretty good shape after 185 years. :yes: Very cool! :clapping:

:congrats:

The Rebel
01-22-2019, 07:12 PM
Great score Don. Love the patina!

Donnie B
01-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Great score Don. Love the patina!

Thanks. I learned my cleaning techniques from Del and this one was pretty easy. I was pleasantly surprised when the coin dried out and the dirt just flaked off leaving a chalky green patina. I gave it a couple of coats of Renaissance Wax to bring out that dark green.

aloldstuff
01-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Excellent recovery Donnie. Congrats on your 1st hard times token. Did hard times tokens need any special authorization to be minted?

Donnie B
01-31-2019, 07:11 AM
Excellent recovery Donnie. Congrats on your 1st hard times token. Did hard times tokens need any special authorization to be minted?

I'm fairly certain that no authorization was needed. These tokens actually served two purposes. They were used as money and circulated alongside "real" currency. During this era, gold and silver coins were being hoarded due to Andrew Jackson's policies so there was a shortage of currency. This piece also carries political satire and would be considered anti-Andrew Jackson for his position on the US Bank and credit.

OxShoeDrew
01-31-2019, 05:05 PM
I don't know how I miss these posts!! :rolleyes:
Good looking site, Donnie! I'm surprised you were able to dig at all! :clapping:
I don't find many tokens in my neck of the woods...or conestoga bells...that was a really cool hunt! :notworthy:

badgers325
02-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Really cool! Thanks for sharing.

Ill Digger
02-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Well, there's a new one! I've never seen that one before.
Very cool! Sweet find Donnie!
Congrats :grin:

Donnie B
02-14-2019, 10:40 PM
I don't know how I miss these posts!! :rolleyes:
Good looking site, Donnie! I'm surprised you were able to dig at all! :clapping:
I don't find many tokens in my neck of the woods...or conestoga bells...that was a really cool hunt! :notworthy:

The ground is frozen in spots and, especially, around the rocks of the cellar holes.66005 This past Sunday I probably spent over an hour on the lip of a cellar hole chopping out two buttons and a spoon fragment. At first, I walked away from the one of the targets but it was just too good of a signal to leave in the ground. Glad I went back for it because it ended up being a very nice button.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-18-2019, 06:23 PM
nice hard times Token Doodie!