PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis on Medieval Iron Finds

Full Metal Digger
02-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Hey Diggers,
I got my electrolysis tank up and running (if you can call a plastic bucket a tank!). These are my first two attempts and I have lots more to go. The key is circa 1500 to 1600 and the hammer is straight up 1,000 years old (give or take). Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Tony Two-Cent
02-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Great results, Dave! Have we seen "before" photos of these two items? How fitting that you posted Thor's hammer on Thorsday! ;)

Are you going to coat them with something to keep them from rusting?

Full Metal Digger
02-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Great results, Dave! Have we seen "before" photos of these two items? Are you going to coat them with something to keep them from rusting?

I didn't take very good "before" pics but will do better on the next relics. I coated the key with wax. I'm giving the hammer one more round of electrolysis and will then coat it with wax to keep it from rusting again.

del
02-07-2019, 04:06 PM
I've got a very similar hammer Dave , wish it was just as old though ! nice job on the electrolysis

Lodge Scent
02-07-2019, 06:42 PM
1,000 year old hammer....mind boggling. What are you using to preserve them Dave? I've used a soak in WD40. That actually works well for a year or so then I start to see rust creeping back. I think I will have to do the wax treatment for more permanent results. The best tip I ever got was to do an acetone soak to prevent the flash rust.

Noah
02-07-2019, 08:07 PM
What do you use for a power source?

Digger Don
02-07-2019, 08:47 PM
what do you use for a power source?
electricity!!

Tony Two-Cent
02-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Tim, I drew you a diagram of how electrolysis works:

Full Metal Digger
02-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Tim, I drew you a diagram of how electrolysis works:

That's amazing Tony! Knowing how you save every scrap of paper you ever had I'm confident this drawing will be in your archives forever!

Noah
02-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Ha ha haaaaa. I've heard of guys using a battery charger but was trying to figure out what is best. I've used a motorcycle battery charger but have had limited success. I suppose you all just run direct current from a wire you stick into the outlet . :devilish:

Full Metal Digger
02-09-2019, 05:13 AM
Ha ha haaaaa. I've heard of guys using a battery charger but was trying to figure out what is best. I've used a motorcycle battery charger but have had limited success. I suppose you all just run direct current from a wire you stick into the outlet . :devilish:
Noah,
I bought a battery charger but not the fancy digital kind. Those don't work for electrolysis because it senses there's no battery being charged. I bought the kind that I always called "trickle chargers."

Noah
02-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Cool thanks Dave

BTV Digger
02-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Great job Dave. For what it's worth my tank is an orange Lowe's plastic bucket with cut iron rebar for the nodes around the perimeter. If you watch all the YouTube vids on electrolysis you'd think it just takes a few minutes for relics to come out sparkling clean, but the reality is it can take quite some time. Some of my heavier encrusted ax heads took several long cycles before they looked decent.

John

aloldstuff
02-13-2019, 06:41 PM
Great read about electrolysis. Maybe someday I'll get a set up but ..... I'm the guy who gets shocked putting batteries in a flashlight.