PDA

View Full Version : First wheat cent of the year!

Full Metal Digger
02-09-2019, 05:29 AM
Hey diggers,
I took a day off for my birthday and went treasure hunting. Always the best present to get me! LOL. We hit a patch of woods that is right next to the "medieval woods." There is a Celtic burial mound there also. Finds were slow but steady. I didn't realize I had a wheat cent until I got home and tried to clean my coins. The soil is very harsh here and the front of the coin is pretty much wiped.

I found 3 bronze rings and Tom found 1. At first I thought these were medieval ring buckles with the tongues missing but now I'm not so sure. If you Google "Celtic ring money" you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm going to have to get an expert opinion before I say for sure what they are. The watch winder was my first good find of the day. The convex button was a big surprise! If you look closely you can see crossed cannons and the number 9 (or 2) above it. They are very faint so maybe they are secondary images?

The aluminum coins always give a screamer signal. After WW1 Germany was so broke they had no silver or gold to back their currency so they used "the bounty of the land." That's why wheat is represented on these coins. The German government literally mortgaged the value of the future harvest to back their currency!

Thanks for looking and HH! Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
02-09-2019, 05:49 AM
Very nice finds, love that button! Those rings are really cool finds, let us know what you find out about them. The watch wonder looks pretty complex for the time, even the screw threads look great!
Been dying to get out myself, but even lake Michigan is frozen over due to the -24 temps we had recently.

aloldstuff
02-09-2019, 10:09 AM
You are NOT allowed to dig wheat's. Could your crossed cannon button be Napoleonic war? I couldn't think of a better way to spend a birthday.

Full Metal Digger
02-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Could your crossed cannon button be Napoleonic war?
You're right Al, aside from family, detecting is a great way to celebrate getting a year older! The French buttons are completely different looking. Plus this one has a German back mark.

Noah
02-09-2019, 09:36 PM
Cannons for ya birthday?? Woo hoo!! Congrats! :congrats:

MIKE54
02-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Happy birthday and thanks for our 1st post in 3 weeks! All cool finds!

The Rebel
02-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Happy birthday! Those are some great finds. At least it was a wheatie and not a zincolin, LOL!

Tony Two-Cent
02-11-2019, 11:34 AM
You have been doing an amazing job of cleaning your finds, Dave! They all look like they belong in a museum. The watch winder is terrific! I am very curious about the rings also. I hope they turn out to be something very historic.

Good job, buddy! I trust you had a great birthday!

OxShoeDrew
02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
Happy Birthday!!!!! :cheering:
I bet your wheat production has been down lately :lol:

BTV Digger
02-12-2019, 11:06 AM
A belated Happy B'day Dave. Looks like you're starting 2019 right where you left off last year! If you find an attribution on the rings be sure to pass along.

John

Digger Don
02-13-2019, 07:21 PM
You have officially dug more wheats this year than me! :confused: