PDA

View Full Version : How Cold was it ?

del
02-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Got out yesterday with Donnie B. , HEAVYMETALNUT and Rick Y. to do some cellar hunting before the next Snow/ice storm hits us ! Brrrrr :frozen: was it cold in the morning when the wind whipped up , I left a few of the shotgun shell/button targets on the bare slope of a hillside because the ground was like concrete . Fortunately some of the areas were just a few inches deep with permafrost and I collected a few buttons and this 1660 to 1685 Charles II Hibernia half penny 65989 its isn't a pretty coin but he don't look bad from being a minimum of 334 years old and my first Charles II Hibernia coin .

So how cold was it …. cold enough to turn a toad purple 65990 :shocked03: yes that's his actual color of this frozen solid toad I happen to wander up on . he must of come out in the warm weather snap we had recently and didn't make it back in his burrow before the flash freeze came back !

Dan

Bucknut
02-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Congrats on such an old coin!

Lodge Scent
02-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Well Dan, I can't say I ever saw a frozen purple toad or a Hibernia that old. Nice finds. Apparently too cold for shoe buckles though.

BTV Digger
02-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Great snag Dan! Man, kudos to you guys digging in this kind of weather. Not that it would make any difference for me since the frost depth up here in the valley is like 16 inches. You know, I've discovered several frozen tree frogs in the woods up here through the years, and just like yours they were just in the shallow leaf litter, like they couldn't make it back underground before the freeze. I've never seen a purple one though!

John

Tony Two-Cent
02-12-2019, 12:25 PM
Congrats on the 300+ year old Hibernia, Dan! :clapping:

And wow, that purple toad is BIZARRE! I've never seen anything like that! :shocked05:

The Rebel
02-12-2019, 03:38 PM
Nice Dan! I was out on Sunday & yea it's like 2-4" of concrete. WTG on the cold hard cash as well as the extremely rare 2 eyed purple people eater, LOL!

Full Metal Digger
02-12-2019, 03:41 PM
How many mushrooms do you have to smoke to start seeing purple frogs??? Nice coin you rescued from the ground Del!

del
02-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Congrats on such an old coin!.

its a bit rough and would of looked something close to this just after minted .Thanks65991

Well Dan, I can't say I ever saw a frozen purple toad or a Hibernia that old. Nice finds. Apparently too cold for shoe buckles though.

Yes the shoe buckles are hibernating in their burrows until springtime …. unlike the toads apparently ! :lol:

Great snag Dan! Man, kudos to you guys digging in this kind of weather. Not that it would make any difference for me since the frost depth up here in the valley is like 16 inches. You know, I've discovered several frozen tree frogs in the woods up here through the years, and just like yours they were just in the shallow leaf litter, like they couldn't make it back underground before the freeze. I've never seen a purple one though!

John

John i'm considering on patenting the name "Purple Toad Detecting" … it has a certain ring to it ! :lol: Thanks John

Congrats on the 300+ year old Hibernia, Dan! :clapping:

And wow, that purple toad is BIZARRE! I've never seen anything like that! :shocked05:

You and I both Tony , "Bizarre" sums it up pretty well . Thank you

Nice Dan! I was out on Sunday & yea it's like 2-4" of concrete. WTG on the cold hard cash as well as the extremely rare 2 eyed purple people eater, LOL!

:lol:Thanks Roger

How many mushrooms do you have to smoke to start seeing purple frogs??? Nice coin you rescued from the ground Del!

Heavymetalnut eats forest mushrooms all the time and he didn't see it :dontknow: Thanks

Noah
02-12-2019, 05:56 PM
I'm coming out there in a little more than a month so please please leave a few for me! Oh and congrats! Poor toad! :omg:

Donnie B
02-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Congrats on such an awesome coin, Dan! I'm so glad I was there when you found it and was the second person to touch that coin in 300 plus years. That is the only Charles II coin I have ever seen dug. We really need to go back to that site. There could be a Pine Tree laying there and, if so, I hope you find it (and I find the Six Pence Pine Tree 10 feet away). Congrats my friend. What a day!

aloldstuff
02-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Braving the elements...kudos to all of your hunting party. Never seen a frozen toad much less a purple one.

Congrats on such an old coin.

Digger Don
02-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Awesome find Dan. I would give anything to find a "rough" coin like that.! :congrats:
Cool toad too. Lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-18-2019, 06:41 PM
amazing coin Dan,yep it was nipply out