PDA

View Full Version : Between the Storms

fyrffytr1
03-03-2019, 10:44 PM
My buddy and I managed to get in about two hours between the storms that rolled through south Georgia today. He took me to the site of a native American settlement that disappeared in the early 1800s after being wiped out by the Militia in a case of mistaken identity. They thought they were invading a hostile site when in fact the inhabitants were friendly. Despite having to sit out two brief rain storms we were able to pull some interesting relics from the area. His first find was a musket ball followed by a copper point. I was constantly finding small pieces of copper and my friend told me that the indians used any metal they could for points and clothing decorations.
After hunting for a while I finally got a decent signal and dug a small flat button. Soon after I got my first rolled copper point followed by another button, a copper tinkler and a few pieces of lead. Then, I got the best find of day in the shape of a small silver cone, Again, my buddy informed me that it was an earring. Then the big rain hit and we had to call it a day. I can't wait to get back to this site and see if there are any more houses in the area.

BTV Digger
03-04-2019, 09:42 PM
What an interesting site! I’ve yet to come across a Native American site up here but would love to. I guess at a site like that you’ve gotta dig anything above iron, sorta like colonial sites.

John

fyrffytr1
03-04-2019, 10:09 PM
I did pass up the iron signals and told my hunting buddy so after we left, He said I should have dug them because they could have been gun parts. When we go back I will dig everything! He said the small piece pictured top center in my original post was part of a side plate. I think it might go to the trigger guard. It is broke at the wide end.

Digger_O'Dell
03-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Great history at that site! Got some really cool finds, and I'll bet theres a lot more. Nice hunt!

fyrffytr1
03-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Here's a pic of what else I dug. The partial horse shoe was laying on top of the ground along with the pottery sherds. I dug over 40 holes in about two hours to come home with 6 keepers.

Tony Two-Cent
03-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Congrats on the finds! That silver earring is fascinating. I've never seen one like it before. How old do you think it is?

fyrffytr1
03-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the finds! That silver earring is fascinating. I've never seen one like it before. How old do you think it is?
From what I have been told about the site the earring as well as the copper pieces and buttons would date around the late 1700s.

del
03-06-2019, 06:24 PM
I love the silver "ear-bob" jewelry piece , these sites have a lot to offer if your patient . Congrats

fyrffytr1
03-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I hope to get back to this field soon and see if there are any more house sites there.

fyrffytr1
03-07-2019, 11:28 PM
I went back to the site today and found another "house". I will post pictures tomorrow of some more interesting finds.

badgers325
03-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting finds!

fyrffytr1
03-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Here is a teaser. I took this shot before cleaning anything.