PDA

View Full Version : The collapsed cellar hole chimney copper spill!

Donnie B
03-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone! Got out with Del on Sunday for our first cellar hole hunt in a month due to the weather. It was great to get out and though the day started slow it ended with a bang. The weather was beautiful and it felt so good to not be freezing while detecting. The first site we hit was a very old hammered site that we have in our rotation now at least once per year due to the incredible finds that have been made there. We both got skunked which was a first for this site. We then moved onto another hammered site not far away. That's when it happened. I walked up to the collapsed chimney in the cellar hole and started to scan the rocks hoping that something may have been secreted in the rocks before it collapsed. I got a beautiful signal and started pulling rocks out and found one of the nicest King George II Hibernia's I have ever seen. It's a 1723. 66143But wait, there's more. Scanning the rocks again I got another signal and pulled out what is possibly a Charles II farthing. This one remains to be definitely identified and I will be showing it to Danny again on our next hunt. But wait, there's more! Scanning again and moving rocks like Hulk Hogan I found a 1600's Liard De France! 66144The excitement and the thought of finding a cache crossed both mine and Danny's mind but that was all for now. We need to go back and I will be moving even more rocks to see if there could be something else in that hole. Danny had a great day too but I will let him tell you about it.

Digger Don
03-26-2019, 10:17 PM
Wow, those are some amazing finds. Congrats.
Best of luck on your return visit!!!

Full Metal Digger
03-26-2019, 11:23 PM
WOW! Great find! I hope it turns out to be a cache (and maybe a silver or two in there also). How about a pic of the backs? Congrats and HH, Dave.

Bucknut
03-27-2019, 07:53 AM
That KGII is ridiculous! So jealous!

Tony Two-Cent
03-27-2019, 08:07 AM
That KG II Hibernia is a true thing of beauty! :loveit: I've never seen a dug example with that much detail before. :wow:

That had to be really exciting, finding the cache/spill in the chimney rocks like that. I hope there is more when you return! Awesome!

:perfect10:

Lodge Scent
03-27-2019, 11:39 AM
Nice trifecta! Super sharp Hibernia :drool:

Donnie B
03-27-2019, 11:57 AM
How about a pic of the backs?

Not much to look at on the backside. (That's what she said too :hystericallaugh:)

The Hibernia has some stubborn green crusty spots on the reverse and the only designs showing on the Liard are a couple of the Fleur de lys' and you can barely make out the "A" for the Paris Mint. The Charles II Farthing has nothing on the reverse except the first couple of digits on the date (16) and only when held in blazing sunlight with the moon over your left shoulder. 66145 Here's a photo of the Liard's reverse. 66146And here is the Woods Hibernia reverse.

BTV Digger
03-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Nice spill Donnie! Man, you couldn't ask for better detail on the KG.

John

Digger_O'Dell
03-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Way to think outside the box! That's almost certainly a cache of some sort, unless maybe they dried their laundry by the fire and coins fell out periodically getting lost In a crack or something? Either way, you got yourself a heck of a score, congrats!

del
04-01-2019, 05:02 AM
That was quite a day Donnie , this particular cellar has been very quiet but you have to revisit these sites at different times of the year as ground conditions are always different from the last. Donnie's decision to check the collapsed chimney ruble was a good one . Congrats on the coins my friend !!:notworthy:

Way to think outside the box! That's almost certainly a cache of some sort, unless maybe they dried their laundry by the fire and coins fell out periodically getting lost In a crack or something? Either way, you got yourself a heck of a score, congrats!

Chris , I've seen many coins retrieved from chimney stone piles or collapsed fireplace hearths . I think it was a somewhat a common practice to either hide coins high up in between the fireplace stone cracks to save for a "rainy day" or like you mentioned place the coins found from a pocket before hanging the damp garment near the mantle to dry out.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
04-01-2019, 08:56 AM
WHAT A DAY! :wow:
Some great coins, Donnie! That hibernia is in great shape and ANY 1600s coin is special!!

The Rebel
04-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Wow, that's a great trifecta right there. Can't wait to see what else lies buried in there.

Donnie B
04-01-2019, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=del;227533]That was quite a day Donnie , this particular cellar has been very quiet but you have to revisit these sites at different times of the year as ground conditions are always different from the last. Donnie's decision to check the collapsed chimney ruble was a good one . Congrats on the coins my friend !!:notworthy:

Thanks Danny. You ended up with a good day too. I can't wait to see that bridal rosette that you found at the site.

del
04-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Thanks Danny. You ended up with a good day too. I can't wait to see that bridal rosette that you found at the site.

The front is like a mirror !

Noah
04-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Speechless!!

aloldstuff
04-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Now this is what detecting is all about. The hibernia is in great shape and hoping that there is many more for you there. I once got a permission and the owner wanted me to detect his chimney in his 1700's house. They were in the process of renovating and I was able to get behind the chimney. Sadly, no hits.