PDA

View Full Version : Old nickels and a nice Flying Eagle

Bucknut
04-02-2019, 09:57 AM
It is so nice to be able to go out detecting again after the long winter. Most of these finds came during my lunch breaks at various parks nearby my work. I started March with 42 wheats before finding a silver coin...kind of an aggravating stretch. The 3 war nickels came in one hunt last Friday.

Then on Saturday I braved the snow and rain and went to a very old park and even though I lasted only 3 hours because of the snow I was pretty happy with my finds. I found an Excelsior Eagle button (from the very late 1800's likely), a Navy button that has an iron back to it, a flag pin with a screw post on the back that I am thinking might be military related but not sure, an 1882 indian and a really nice 1858 Flying Eagle with a hole in it. The arrowhead came from a field site behind my house that I have hammered over the years.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting. Jared

Tony Two-Cent
04-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Terrific finds, Jared! A Flying Eagle Cent is at the top of my bucket list. Yours is a very decent looking example. You are really killing it on nickels too. Awesome!

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
04-02-2019, 02:31 PM
That's soooo many low conductors, Jared! You also dug a lot of trash? Were you aiming for nickels?

Full Metal Digger
04-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Great finds Jared!!! and all in parks that have been pounded probably. A flying eagle is near the top of my bucket list too. The flag pin is a WW1 U.S. Army Signal Corps collar brass BTW. Great finds and HH, Dave.

Bucknut
04-02-2019, 03:01 PM
That's soooo many low conductors, Jared! You also dug a lot of trash? Were you aiming for nickels?

I am not aiming for nickels but when there is nothing else to dig then you might as well dig them. I am a bit surprised though that I do not dig more gold with all of the pull tabs that I dig.

Bucknut
04-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Great finds Jared!!! and all in parks that have been pounded probably. A flying eagle is near the top of my bucket list too. The flag pin is a WW1 U.S. Army Signal Corps collar brass BTW. Great finds and HH, Dave.

Thanks for the ID of the collar pin...I had a suspicion!

MIKE54
04-02-2019, 03:53 PM
That’s a lot of nice nickels Jared. The flying eagle ain’t to shabby either. Still looking for one of those.

wisconsin digger
04-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Great finds. I hunted a Park near work today on lunch and found 1 wheatie and some pocket change. I think I need to get a job near you. Congrats on all the recoveries. WD

5thfret
04-02-2019, 06:51 PM
I wish we had your park! Bout the oldest thing I've ever found in one here was a V nick. Keep digging those nickels and we'll see you posting gold soon!

Digger Don
04-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Amazing finds Jared. Wow, love that flying eagle!! Maybe someday I'll get to see one in my hand!! :congrats:

Robbie
04-02-2019, 07:40 PM
Great finds Jared,I`ve yet to find a flying eagle. So how did the arrow @ marble come up?

aloldstuff
04-03-2019, 06:11 AM
WHAT....no mention of the marble??? Killing it again, love the FE