PDA

View Full Version : 1668 Hammered Silver Next to an Old Tree

Full Metal Digger
04-09-2019, 04:16 PM
Hey Diggers,

Today I got a pull tab signal at the base of an old tree in the woods. It rang up a 61 on my XP Deus. It was so shallow the pin pointer had no trouble finding it. I stuck my shovel in the dirt under the signal and pushed up and was shocked to see a hammered silver coin pop right out of the ground. It had been on edge and you could actually see the slot in the dirt where it had been. What's so funny is some other detectorist had been there before me and piled his iron up against the tree! I wonder if he even detected up next to the tree. The coin is a very nice looking 3 Kreuzer dated 1668 and features King Leopold (the hog mouth). The coin was minted at the Royal Mint in Bohemia.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting, Dave.

Bucknut
04-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Today I got a pull tab signal in the woods too....ended up being a pull tab. Ah to spend a day in the life of Daddy Digger and dig "pull tabs".

Congrats once again on a fantastic coin!

MIKE54
04-09-2019, 08:24 PM
His loss, you’re gain!

del
04-10-2019, 05:20 AM
A very sweet surprise Dave , those are the best kind of finds.

Today I got a pull tab signal in the woods too....ended up being a pull tab.

Yeah all my pull tab signals are just that ....pull tabs . :crying02:

Tony Two-Cent
04-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Poor King Leopold was not the best looking man. :lol:

But that coin sure is a looker! :loveit: Such amazing detail on it still! You are consistently making monumental finds there in Germany, Dave! :wow:

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
04-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Poor King Leopold was not the best looking man.

Just imagine the poor slob who gets hired to paint his portrait/design his coin/etc. Do you understate his obviously large mouth and chin so it doesn't look quite so bad? Or do paint him in all his glory as he actually is? Either way you risk the ole "off with his head" if the king is displeased! I would be sweating bullets the whole time!

Lodge Scent
04-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Nice find! Yeah all that royal inbreeding produced some strange specimens. Often their brains were just as abnormal as their physical features were. :)

Noah
04-10-2019, 03:55 PM
You've found too man great silver coins Dave. OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!! :rofl:
Actually you're suppose to take your iron with you so serves him right! Congrats.

Donnie B
04-10-2019, 09:32 PM
WOW! Great coin!

aloldstuff
04-11-2019, 04:47 AM
I'll say it again...love your finds and keep on posting them. Congrats...:thumbsup02:

The Rebel
04-11-2019, 11:39 AM
That's a cool coin! Man looks like he face hit brick wall.

BTV Digger
04-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Excellent nab Dave! But man - that guy's face is something of nightmares!

John

wisconsin digger
04-13-2019, 05:03 PM
Maybe this off-season you could post a summary of ALL your hammered silver. Your recoveries are truly impressive. Congrats. WD