PDA

View Full Version : Back At It

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2019, 08:01 AM
Got home yesterday morning and after lunch was able to mount a long hunt. I remember when long hunts went from sun-up to dinner...no longer...my arms hurt even though I padded my cuff and tied an oxshoe to the back as counter-weight. I hate swinging the Equinox...but I have to say it does one thing way better than my trusty ol' T2...it hears non-ferrous under nails. Many of these finds were missed by my T2 and had nails above them. The button had two nails above it! The T2 is better at covering ground and IDing targets and I'll go back to it intermittently after I finish going back to all my old sites I've already covered with the T2.

The button seems to be a New York City Police button from the 1870s, the copper is a left facing something, decorated colonial drawer plate, and some other keepers. Thanks!

Lodge Scent
04-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Nice finds Drew but what really impresses me is your ingenuity. :lol: Can't say I have ever seen an ox shoe used like that before. Actually I have never seen an ox shoe used for anything other than as footwear for an ox. :lol:

Yeah, those 12 hour long hunts are a thing of the past. Too many old injuries start aching long before 12 hours these days.

fyrffytr1
04-20-2019, 07:39 PM
I like the button. I also had problems swinging my Whites DFX so I bit the bullet and bought an XP Deus. I can swing it all day long with no problems!

del
04-21-2019, 09:57 AM
The copper appears to be a KGII "young head" variety 1727 to 1739 . These "new" machines are much lighter but they seemed to forget about ergonomics that the older machines had , yes my DFX is on the heavier side but the weight distribution is well balanced .

Dan

Digger Don
04-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Great finds Drew, i love your counter weight system, but not as much as the KGII :congrats:

aloldstuff
04-21-2019, 10:47 AM
Great thought process on your detector...:thumbsup01:. Congrats on the keepers and I hope the NOX finds you those missed items under the iron.
A long hunt now to me is 5 hours TOPS.

Tony Two-Cent
04-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Good ol' OxShoeDrew lives up to his namesake! :thumbsup01:

That old police button is very cool, Drew, and it cleaned up nicely! What an interesting motif.

The copper is a nice find as well, closing in on 300 years old. Awesome!

I appreciate your reports on the Equinox. That is good information to know. I've had my E-Trac for 8 years now and I have been thinking about buying a new machine.

:congrats: