PDA

View Full Version : 1757 - 1774 British Royal Navy Captain's Dress Cuff Links!

Donnie B
05-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Got out yesterday and hit a new colonial cellar hole permission. Site was stingy and had, obviously, been dug before but not very recently. I got a few odds and ends but the Find of the Day was this pair of Solid Silver 1757 - 1774 British Royal Navy Captain's Dress Cuff Links. These are identified on two websites (one UK and one in the US). Cuff links, or sleave buttons, are among my favorite finds and these are first solid silver I have found.6650066501

Last weekend, I found a very early 1800's one piece Haitian 14th Regiment Cuff Button from the reign of King Cristophe. We had a short hunt before the Awesome Relics New England Annual Golf Championship. I managed 12 buttons, including, two military buttons. The other was a General Service Eagle. I also got half of a KG III copper. Too bad the plow got to it before I did. Happy Hunting!665026650466503

Bucknut
05-27-2019, 10:06 PM
Amazing relics! I found a silver cuff link a few years ago but mine was probably at least 150 years newer than yours.

del
05-28-2019, 04:43 AM
Your tearing it up Mr. Bailey , I have yet to find a set of silver cufflinks . :notworthy:The golf & hunt weekend was a good time , you did great there in the short time you were there.

Dan

Donnie B
05-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Your tearing it up Mr. Bailey , I have yet to find a set of silver cufflinks . :notworthy:The golf & hunt weekend was a good time , you did great there in the short time you were there.

Dan

Yeah, I'm tearing it up with good finds but I'm not "tearing it up with three coppers every time I turn on my machine tearing it up." :rofl::hystericallaugh::lolsign:

del
05-28-2019, 11:21 AM
I'll trade you 3 crusty coppers for the cufflink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Donnie B
05-28-2019, 02:42 PM
I'll trade you 3 crusty coppers for the cufflink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective. What I was trying to say is you have been killing it on finds lately yourself. That Draped Bust Half Cent is one of the most awesome coins I have seen dug.

OxShoeDrew
05-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Top shelf relics right there! Were'd you guys play golf?
Don't you hate when you do all the work to get a permission and people have just pounded it?!
:congrats:

Donnie B
05-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Top shelf relics right there! Were'd you guys play golf?
Don't you hate when you do all the work to get a permission and people have just pounded it?!
:congrats:

Hammered cellar holes seems to be the norm so it doesn't bother me. There is always something that was missed. We have made some stellar finds at hammered sites. It does make the non-hammered sites so much more exciting when you found one. We played golf at Rolling Meadows (Hills?). I played awful but it was great fun.66506

Noah
05-28-2019, 07:09 PM
Those cuff links are a killer! Amazing. :notworthy:

The Rebel
05-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Awesome Cufflinks!

Lodge Scent
05-29-2019, 03:55 PM
Those cufflinks are killer Donnie B. I don't think I have ever seen a Haitian 14th Regiment Cuff Button ??? Never even heard of one before.

Donnie B
05-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Those cufflinks are killer Donnie B. I don't think I have ever seen a Haitian 14th Regiment Cuff Button ??? Never even heard of one before.

There is a very interesting history regarding these Haitian buttons. I won't bore you with the long post I found online but, apparently, King Cristophe died circa 1820 and there was a shipment of buttons which were not used by the new Haitian government for some reason (perhaps non-payment). At any rate, the buttons ended up being sold to some merchants who transported most the them by ship (in the 1840's?) to the West Coast. There are more of them found in California and Oregon than on the East Coast where I found mine.

Digger Don
05-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Those cufflinks are amazing!! Great Job Donnie!!

BTV Digger
05-31-2019, 08:09 PM
Great finds as always Donnie! Never found anything other than singleton, individual copper or brass cufflinks. Interesting info on the Haitian button also.

John

Donnie B
06-01-2019, 06:40 AM
Great finds as always Donnie! Never found anything other than singleton, individual copper or brass cufflinks. Interesting info on the Haitian button also.

John

I should clarify that I am not the one who had the information. I thought my button was Hessian until Danny (Del) told me the story above about why these Haitian buttons are found in New England and the West Coast. Danny gets the credit or you would be misinformed by yours truly.

Digger_O'Dell
06-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Great looking cufflinks! Never seen ones quite like that, congrats!