PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to Bavaria #1

Full Metal Digger
05-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Wow, I just spent 6 glorious days detecting in Bavaria. I went with a couple other guys and we met up with a local detectorist/guide. He took us to some amazing locations with tons of history. Our group found lots of nice keepers. These are just the silver coins I found. They range in date from 1737 to 1862. 10 of them are 1700's (hammered) and 8 are 1800's (milled). More posts will follow as I get the rest of the stuff cleaned up. This is a group photo and then some of the better condition coins.

Bucknut
05-30-2019, 09:37 AM
I was wondering where you have been lately and now I know...finding more amazing old silver! So many new avatars. At the end of your stay in Germany you should just pile them all up and take a pic.

Digger Don
05-30-2019, 02:05 PM
GEEEZE Dave, leave some for the locals! You're going to have Germany cleaned out by the time you come back!
GREAT FINDS!!!!! :envious::congrats: :perfect10: :envious:

Tony Two-Cent
05-30-2019, 02:59 PM
So, Bavaria must be one giant honey hole! :drool:

My jaw just hit the floor! :shocked05:

What a huge pile of super old silver coins, Dave! SPECTACULAR! I can't wait to see the other finds.

:perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
05-30-2019, 04:19 PM
I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THIS POST!!! Here is the kicker..."More posts will follow as I get the rest of the stuff cleaned up." :rofl:
So many questions....
Was the "detectorist/guide" a professional?
What is the silver content/why do they look goldish?
When you ONLY find milled 1800s coins is it now considered a skunking? :lol:
Did you get to sample some pilsners?
Do these people have detectors?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

Tony Two-Cent
05-30-2019, 04:37 PM

Ha ha! That was actually a clue on Jeapardy last night. "Spinal Tap's amps go to this number."

Full Metal Digger
05-30-2019, 05:17 PM

The guide is a friend of our German host. He is American but lives over here. He has been detecting in Bavaria 18 years. Don't even get me started on his awesome collection!

Silver content is low for some of them (18% to 28%) and high for others (90% to 95%). Coins look yellow because Germans love light bulbs with soft yellow light (I took the pics indoors).

Coins minted after 1870 are considered modern.

Yes, WAY too many beers this week!

Yes, they have lots of detectorists but the amount of finds is so wide-spread it will last for generations.

Here's the medieval eating knife I cleaned today... (15th - 16th C.)

The Rebel
05-31-2019, 07:42 AM
All I can saw is :shocked05::shocked05:! WTG on some amazing finds!

wisconsin digger
05-31-2019, 10:24 AM
Wow, those coins are impressive. What a batch of beauties. Congrats and thanks for posting. I can only assume there is some good videos coming. WD

Donnie B
05-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Living the Dream! Congrats!

BTV Digger
05-31-2019, 08:17 PM
Wow - like Donnie said - living the dream brother. Wonderful assortment of old coins. Looking forward to viewing your relics from this trip.

John

del
06-05-2019, 05:05 AM
What an array of silver coinage :shocked03: , great coins !

I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THIS POST!!! Here is the kicker..."More posts will follow as I get the rest of the stuff cleaned up." :rofl:
So many questions....

Dave's detector goes to eleven !:groovy: