PDA

View Full Version : I thought it was a foreign coin at first (and I need help)

badgers325
06-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone. I thought I would try the big coil on my CTX3030 to get accustomed to it. Went to a local school that was built in the 60s (that is 1960s for you East Coast people). I decided to go to a field behind the school that I have hit hard just because the kids lose a lot of quarters and it is a good break at lunch.

Had a 12-31 signal that was solid. Out popped this 1832 half-dime. Initially I thought it was a foreign coin since half-dimes are not even a thought in my head when metal detecting in WI (at least for me). I saw the back and through the dirt I could see United and Amer. Since I was just "testing the new coil", I didn't have my water. Now that the dirt is caked on, what are your best suggestions to clean this. It looks to be in pretty good shape. I can see some minor old wear on it. Sorry for bad picture, when I clean it, I will send more.

You know, yesterday while out, I thought to myself that this metal detecting thing is getting a little old. Had a bad day, bugs were aggressive, getting dehydrated, not finding much. Then today happened. Got this little gem. Oh by the way, a silver ring and a silver/gold ring as well. Will show those later too.

Please give suggestions on how to clean once the dirt is caked on. I have looked online, but would rather get the latest greatest from you guys/gals.

Thank you!!

Bucknut
06-23-2019, 12:40 PM
That sir is a great find! I would soak it in water for now. Then Q tip the lose debris off. Avoid rubbing it if possible.

well done again!

badgers325
06-23-2019, 03:06 PM
Thanks Bucknut. Hope it is as nice as yours that is on display!

Bucknut
06-23-2019, 03:15 PM
Thanks Bucknut. Hope it is as nice as yours that is on display!

Yours from what I can see looks to be in pretty good shape. But really ANY capped bust silver is special. Just a rare coin!

OxShoeDrew
06-23-2019, 03:21 PM
WOW...under 1 mil mintage! Can you post a petter pic...and the reverse?:congrats::wow::drool:

rharris
06-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Awesome find! Congrats!

badgers325
06-24-2019, 06:56 AM
I will OxShoeDrew. Just want to clean it up first. Should have something later this week for sure.

Thanks rharris

Bucknut - still in shock when I saw this. It just shouldn't be there. I have to wonder if there was an old house at some point in the area. when I look around at the topography, back in the day, I would have set up a place there. Kind of on a hill with wildlife and water nearby. I haven't found any other old items here. No square nails, nothing. My guess is just great luck!

Tony Two-Cent
06-24-2019, 07:50 AM
Wow, what a find! It looks to be in good shape too. I agree with the comment above about just soaking it in water. Perhaps you could add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to help loosen the soil. Let it soak overnight and the dirt should rinse right off.

I can't wait to see the pictures of it after it's cleaned up!

:congrats:

badgers325
06-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Thanks Tony. I just changed the water out and added a drop of dish soap. There is one spot that is still caked on.

The Rebel
06-24-2019, 12:24 PM
That's one great find! Looking forward to more pic's!

Donnie B
06-25-2019, 07:54 PM
That's a truly awesome find! :perfect10: