PDA

View Full Version : sunday cellar hunt

del
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
it was a beautiful day Sunday Coinnut and i was invited by friend (Roger is a fellow member to our local detecting club)to detect an old stagecoach cellar site on private land , this place has produced alot of coins and buttons in the past but has been pounded by many people Roger has taken to this site in the last few years . Coinnut and i like a good challenge so we had to work hard for the finds we got (we were the only ones to come away with coins), my meager finds were for the most part either very deep targets ( almost all the buttons were 6 inches or deeper some were at 9 inches)or very iffy targets next to iron . i did come away with a large copper that was clipped and very worn a beat King George the III (but hey i'll take it) it was at almost 10 inches deep but i knew it was either a large button or a coin .
hey thanks for looking and HH.

Dan

OkieDigger
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Nice digs! I'd say that site still has plenty to be found.

MNDigger
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah for a site that has been hunted hard it sure is giving up some good finds still! Congrats on the Copper!

del
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah for a site that has been hunted hard it sure is giving up some good finds still! Congrats of the Copper!

thanks Dale and Steve hunted hard is a relative term when you have been detecting six or more hours and this is all you get and everything is deeper than 5 or 6 inches , it makes for a long day . then we've been to a few sites lightly detectedand you get this or more in the first hour and most of it is 5 inches or less .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
nice job Dan! whats your copper count at now? way to sniff out the deep stuff! thumbsup01

del
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
nice job Dan! whats your copper count at now? way to sniff out the deep stuff! thumbsup01

right under my avatar and post count where its always been buddy. ;)

OkieDigger
11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
thanks Dale and Steve hunted hard is a relative term when you have been detecting six or more hours and this is all you get and everything is deeper than 5 or 6 inches , it makes for a long day . then we've been to a few sites lightly detectedand you get this or more in the first hour and most of it is 5 inches or less .

Dan

See my finds from this weekend? That's from 8:45 am to 5:20 pm. Trust me, that's not hit hard. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
right under my avatar and post count where its always been buddy. ;)

oh 34? ok next sat i'm gonna tie that! :beatdown: yeah i wish :rolleyes: hookin up with a fellow forum detectorist at some new sites this saturday.hope they spit out some goodies! have a great week dan & G!
Dan what's that F shaped piece on the left? part of a buckle?

angellionel
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I would be walking away from the site smiling with those finds. Now I'm the one itching to hit a cellar hole. lol Great finds Dan!

Epi-hunter
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I love your definition of 'meager finds' lol ;) Those are fantastic finds; I would be very happy!

Dave
11-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Nice dig's! Thats the way to make a pounded place produce.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-17-2009, 07:53 AM
did G find anything?any coppers?

del
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
ya he said he might be to busy to post for a while due to work , but he got a large cent (matron head type) and some buttons as well , i'm sure he'll chime in soon or else he is going to forfiet his copper find lol ;) :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-17-2009, 10:46 AM
ya he said he might be to busy to post for a while due to work , but he got a large cent (matron head type) and some buttons as well , i'm sure he'll chime in soon or else he is going to forfiet his copper find lol ;) :grin:

yeah!!! ya never informed him about the statue of limitations on posting? tsk tsk tsk. :huh: you are slick Dan! thumbsup01 12 more hrs he has to post or scratch that copper from the race!
gonna head out today to some new sites.waiting for the dude now.
have a great week man

coinnut
11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Whew!!! Just made it under that 100 hour mark or I forfeit my finds lol Not a lot from that site, since I was realy trying for only coins, but I gave in after about 3 hours and started digging for buttons too. The copper is a pitted 1816 and was found about 1 hour into the hunt. The way it read on the E Trac, I know it was on edge. That's why it was missed. Found about 15 feet from the cellar hole. I also found a great wizzer, (wait, I can see a Matron head on it) ;) Well maybe not. Fun time though. Now that the bad days of work are over I can breathe.

del
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
hey glad you just made the deadline or Dave and i would of have to arm wrestle for the forfieted coin :beatdown: lol :beatdown: wow the ground wasn't good to that copper either :shocked04:stretcher: . decent finds especially for the area George.

Dan

Krom
11-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Geez, Dan... you had that baby set for &quot:beerbuddy:uttons, huh?
Awesome digs, man! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Whew!!! Just made it under that 100 hour mark or I forfeit my finds lol Not a lot from that site, since I was realy trying for only coins, but I gave in after about 3 hours and started digging for buttons too. The copper is a pitted 1816 and was found about 1 hour into the hunt. The way it read on the E Trac, I know it was on edge. That's why it was missed. Found about 15 feet from the cellar hole. I also found a great wizzer, (wait, I can see a Matron head on it) ;) Well maybe not. Fun time though. Now that the bad days of work are over I can breathe.

cool stuff G! the whizzer is pretty cool! decent LC too.least ya can get a date off it!