PDA

View Full Version : Hanging By a Colonial Tread, Coppers

OxShoeDrew
09-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Hey everyone,
I had three 2hr colonial hunts and a 2hr park hunt the past two weeks. I left one of the coppers out of the group pic.
3 coppers (oldies)
Dandy button with thread!
Ox knob
Reins guide (late model :))
Other items
The wheat and merc came from a park

Oneil1979
09-02-2019, 07:42 PM
very rarely do I get excited over dandy buttons anymore unless they have some fancy, usually just use them to date a site if I’m unsure but that sir is a really cool find! Any date off the tag? Haven't got out once this year but that button def gives me the itch, congrats.

Lodge Scent
09-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Very cool Drew. I love those buttons that still have a bit of wool attached to them. Also love the colonial era acorn-shaped aluminum dog license ;)

calabash digger
09-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Congrats!

Bucknut
09-02-2019, 08:46 PM
It's pretty cool to see the thread on the button. Nice coppers!

Cheap Thrills
09-03-2019, 10:16 AM
It's pretty cool to see the thread on the button. Nice coppers!

Nice going Drew !

Digger_O'Dell
09-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Nice finds Drew, and the thread is a rare bonus. Congrats !

Tony Two-Cent
09-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Nice finds, Drew! It's amazing to think about a piece of thread surviving over 200 years in the ground. One can't help but wonder about the life of the person who sewed that button on. One of the many reasons that the hobby of metal detecting is so rewarding, it teaches history and sparks the imagination.

Can you identify any of the coppers?

del
09-05-2019, 05:05 AM
interesting copper , any better pictures of the front and back ?

OxShoeDrew
09-05-2019, 10:52 AM
very rarely do I get excited over dandy buttons anymore unless they have some fancy, usually just use them to date a site if I’m unsure but that sir is a really cool find! Any date off the tag? Haven't got out once this year but that button def gives me the itch, congrats.I'm mildly amused by shanked dandies, unshanked is of no interest...after I conclude it's not a GW :lol: . The dog tag is a 1989. It was a very good year, I remember it well :). Thanks!

Very cool Drew. I love those buttons that still have a bit of wool attached to them. Also love the colonial era acorn-shaped aluminum dog license ;):lol: The dog probs wore it a week before it broke.
I remember your USA button with the cloth!

Congrats! Thank you, Sir!

It's pretty cool to see the thread on the button. Nice coppers!It's not like your last hunt, Jared, but I'll take it :lol:

Nice going Drew !Thank you, George!

Nice finds Drew, and the thread is a rare bonus. Congrats !I found some red cloth on one once...I still remember it. Thanks, Chris!

Nice finds, Drew! It's amazing to think about a piece of thread surviving over 200 years in the ground. One can't help but wonder about the life of the person who sewed that button on. One of the many reasons that the hobby of metal detecting is so rewarding, it teaches history and sparks the imagination.

Can you identify any of the coppers?I agree, Tony...still the best hobby on Earth! Dan seems like he might know something about the coppers...he's a walking library.

interesting copper , any better pictures of the front and back ?The top one, Dan?

The Rebel
09-08-2019, 04:26 PM
WTG Drew. I love it when we find buttons with the thread still there, always amazes me why it lasts.

Digger Don
09-08-2019, 07:50 PM
Great digs Drew! :congrats: