PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled across a Roman site in the woods

Full Metal Digger
09-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Hey Diggers,
Sunday I went out with Russ and Tom to detect a new stretch of woods. After about 2 hours we each had a couple buckles and other bits and bobs. We were working our way back to the cars and I found a Roman coin. It was rotted and had no details left on it. Then I dug another. Then another. Within 10 minutes I had 9 of them. I called the guys back from the cars and we started searching all over that section of the woods. Tom found 14 coins total, including a Roman silver and a beautiful Celtic coin. Russ found 24 coins including 2 Celtics! I found 41 Rotted Romans--no silver and no Celtics! :shocked02: Totally not fair! Anyway, the coins are so fragile that any attempts at manual cleaning makes them crumble in your hands. I soaked all 41 coins in ammonia for 2 days and then rinsed off the sludge and verdigris. Lo and behold, one of the coins (and only one) still had some detail on it! I have not yet gotten it identified but it has a Celtic style horse on the back. Tom's Roman silver was minted in 79 A.D. and the Celtics are all first century too. Our theory is this was a Roman prayer site, sometimes called a temple although it was probably just a statue they prayed to. Romans would make pilgrimages to these sites and leave a coin offering with their prayers.

We plan to go back of course!

Bucknut
09-13-2019, 12:44 PM
Wow how fortunate are you to have found that spot! You guys must have been on cloud 9 with each beep of the detector!

Digger Don
09-13-2019, 05:03 PM
That must have been exciting. 41 coins! Wow!! :envious:
The one with the detail looks awesome Dave. Congrats!!

Tony Two-Cent
09-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Now that's a mind blowing historical site! I can't even imagine finding all those Roman coins in such a small area like that. Do you think there is more there, Dave? Are you planning on returning?

Full Metal Digger
09-14-2019, 01:22 PM
You guys must have been on cloud 9 with each beep of the detector!

It was exciting to get so many coin signals. Every few seconds someone would say "here's another one" as he waved his coil over the target.

That must have been exciting. 41 coins! Wow!! :envious:
The one with the detail looks awesome Dave. Congrats!!

Thanks Don!

Now that's a mind blowing historical site! I can't even imagine finding all those Roman coins in such a small area like that. Do you think there is more there, Dave? Are you planning on returning?

Yes, we took a blood oath that we would only return when all 3 of us could be there (no solo hunts allowed)! I believe there are probably many more coins and possibly a relic or two to be found there still. I dug a few of the iron signals and they were all Roman nails. My number 1 bucket list item right now is a Roman knife! Very distinctive look (like the one pictured below).
https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2019/1/30/9/4/1/9419373a-c586-4748-8bef-e41a3353ccb8.jpg

wisconsin digger
09-16-2019, 12:49 AM
Congrats on all the coin recoveries. Good Luck on the return trip. WD

The Rebel
09-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Wow, what a great site you stumbled on!

badgers325
09-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Wow. I like the title. I stumbled across....a Roman site. Love hearing your stories and seeing your finds.

Lodge Scent
09-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Yeah I hate when I stumble and fall into a pile of old coins and relics :envious: I predict on your next hunt back there you will stumble onto some of that shiny stuff....or maybe even that yellow stuff!

Noah
09-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Blood oath huh. Pinky swear? I'd bet you'll get a lot of interesting finds there. Don't post any pictures of the site on Youtube. :pirate:

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2019, 06:13 PM
:shocked05:How cool is that?!! Those first 5 pics look like tombacs and later buckles...the kind we drool over around here :lol:
Did you ever think you had a hoard of Roman coins? Wonderful, Dave!!

Ill Digger
10-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Yeah I hate when I stumble and fall into a pile of old coins and relics :envious:

My thoughts exactly Jeff. I hate it when I just stumble across c.1st - 2nd century Celtic / Roman sight! :shocked05:

Just a little :envious::envious::envious::cheesysmile:

Great find Dave!!
Congrats!! :grin:

Were the Celtic coins bronze also? Or were there silver units? :drool::drool::drool:

Full Metal Digger
10-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Were the Celtic coins bronze also? Or were there silver units?

We went back on Sunday. Tom found 2 more Celtics. All 5 Celtics are made of a bronzey material called potin. I didn't find any Celtic coins but I did find an amazing relic. A Roman pole pike!

Donnie B
10-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Awesome finds. The buckles are really nice and look at all those Roman's.

Cooper
10-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Thats some old history, and that’s a crazy site how old do you think that pike is. Hope you guys go back soon love those pics

Full Metal Digger
10-06-2019, 07:27 AM
"how old do you think that pike is?"
Thanks Coop, after electrolysis and thorough examination it looks like the pike is actually early Medieval, perhaps 500 to 1000 A.D.

Tony Two-Cent
10-06-2019, 09:34 AM
That medieval pike is a mind blowing find, Dave! Imagine the stories it could tell. You could open your own museum with all the incredible things you have found. Spectacular!

:perfect10: