PDA

View Full Version : copper and silvers

randy
09-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Got out to a spot that has good to me in the past, that I usually only hunt after a good rain, as all the targets are deep. Last night's rain only got the top inch or two wet, but I managed to pull a trio of silver dimes and a 1846 large cent with a hole. Usually the coins coming out of here are dated from the 1940s to 70s, so this was a bit of a surprise. The copper was down 10 inches in bone dry dirt, and the E-Trac definitely had a bit of trouble with it. Most everything that came up was 35-50, which more and more I'm coming to believe is like the +95 on the DFX: There is target there, but if you want any more information, start digging. In this particular case, there were a handful of hits in the 10-45 neighborhood, which was enough for me. In normal moist dirt, I've had coppers ring like a bell at 11-12 inches on the E-Trac, so it definitely seems to matter when the dirt is bone dry.

Also pulled a small sterling ring with a black stone, and a handful of 40s and 50s wheats.

Epi-hunter
09-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Great hunt, love the photos of the silver!!

That stone in the ring looks blue in the photo.

angellionel
09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Sweet hunt, Randy! :clapping: You have some real nice finds there. I agree with you on the dry soil. I experienced the same today at a site where targets are deep. I had to pay close attention to the signals, as they were coming in weak. Usually, when the soil is damp, the signal would be stronger.

coinnut
09-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Just the fact that you could hit the targets in dry dirt is great :clapping: Nice silvers and an extra bonus of a large cent. The ring is really cool looking. It does look like a deep blue stone. I'd say that was a great hunt Randy. :clapping:

del
09-12-2010, 10:44 PM
those are great results considering the conditions Randy , very nice coins and sharp looking ring my friend. :peace:

leslie(nova scotia)
09-13-2010, 06:19 AM
From the land of the Bluenose...man that is a great hunt. Love the silver!

Jason in Enid
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Great hunt!

Tell us more about your 35-50 theory and examples.

randy
09-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Tell us more about your 35-50 theory and examples.

This is my third or fourth good deep target that, when going into quickmask and swinging over it, 80% of the readings would be at 35-50. Most of the other 20% are deep silver readings, with an occasional 35-47. My thoughts are that if it were a ferrous target, it would be a bit more random, and perhaps the machine is using 35-50 as a catchall for I have a signal, but I can't really figure it out.

Most upper end targets are either obvious silvers/clads or obvious ferrous falsing after pinpointing that I don't go to quickmask much anymore (only on iffy targets), so I haven't seen a ton of it, and perhaps I am noticing something that isn't there. If I get another one, tho, I'm going to open up 35-50 and see what the target sounds like, and then see what that sounds like over ferrous targets.

Jason in Enid
09-15-2010, 08:02 AM
What target depths have you been seeing that 35-50 reading?

I must admit I haven't paid strict attention to many of my readings, but I have't dug a really deep target in a while.

randy
09-15-2010, 08:07 AM
What target depths have you been seeing that 35-50 reading?

This one was at 10 inches in dry dirt. I think one was a merc at 8 inches on its side. They are deep, but I don't think I measured the others (or at least I don't remember if I did -- its just something I noticed, I haven't been too scientific about it).

rsarge1
09-15-2010, 09:17 AM
nice hunt i would love to find some of those coppers myself maybe some day LOL
thumbsup01

RobW
09-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Nice finds...good patience too!