PDA

View Full Version : Happy 10th Anniversary to the American Detectorist Forum!

Tony Two-Cent
10-21-2019, 09:34 AM
Believe it or not, this forum turns ten years old today! It was founded on October 21, 2009 by angellionel and Epi-hunter.

In an age where forums are regularly disappearing due to Facebook and other social media, we have managed to stay relevant thanks to loyal members like you!

The staff of American Detectorist wishes to thank all of you who contribute to our little corner of the internet, whether you post regularly or just lurk. We wouldn't be here without you!

In the spirit of nostalgia, here are the members who registered in the first two weeks of the forum's existence:

ALV
angellionel
bazooka
Beefcake
Bentfork
bmattioli
cab
Calvin
catskillcomics
coinnut
CyberSage
Dave
del
Eagle 1
Epi-Hunter
Eva
flueinc
grinsebring
harleypt
hockeyguy
homefire
hoser
Islandhunter
Jack Flynn
Jason in Enid
Krom
Lane
Lowjiber
marchas45
MNDigger
OkieDigger
RelicHound
Rusthunter
s1ack3r07
Sallywag
SeabeeRon
Seaweednh
Snowy
z118

Former administrators and moderators include: (Let me know of any I missed, Dan!)

CODY
coinnut
jkress
Lowjiber
pulltabsteve
randy
tanacat

Current staff:

Epi-Hunter
angellionel
del
Tony Two-Cent
CyberSage
Ill Digger
aloldstuff
Fire Fighter 43
OxShoe Drew

I thought it would be fun to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the forum by posting your all-time favorite find in this thread. It doesn't matter if it's a coin, relic, jewelry or "other". Post a short story about your find or just a photo. Try to narrow it down to just one find though.

Or, if you don't want to post your favorite find just say "hi" to let us all know you're still around! :thumbsup01:

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING HERE! :clapping:

Full Metal Digger
10-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Wow, congrats AD on 10 years of success! I was trying to think what my favorite find is. I asked myself what is the centerpiece of my collection? What do I show everyone when they visit? I decided it's the clay pipe with brass wind cap I found at the 1793 French campsite from the French Revolutionary Wars. It's a personal item dropped by a French soldier during the French Revolution--so that makes it pretty cool in my book!

Digger Don
10-21-2019, 11:26 AM
There is no way I can pick a favorite find!! I've been lucky enough to find a few Favorites.
If I had to pick just one thing, it would have to be the friends that I have made from the forum over the last six years. and the ones that I have had the pleasure of hunting with. That's what I will remember the most!!!:grouphug:

Tony Two-Cent
10-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Hard to pick a favorite, but this find probably got me the most excited.

Lodge Scent
10-22-2019, 03:51 PM
10 years! I was 3 years late to this party but glad I joined. :)

This is hard. My favorite today. Ask me tomorrow and it might be something else.

USA button with a clump of blue thread still visible on the shank. I pulled an odd looking pewter button out of the dirt but my arms weren't long enough to bring it into focus. I gave it to my hunting buddy with younger eyes than mine to look at, and I remember his shocked expression when he realized what it was. I got glasses shortly after that. :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/oYu6SIa.jpg

Cheap Thrills
10-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Whatever happened to Angel and Epi ?

Tony Two-Cent
10-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Whatever happened to Angel and Epi ?

Angel is writing poetry now. That's all I know.

https://www.angellionel.com/

It has been almost a year since I last heard from Epi-hunter.

OxShoeDrew
10-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Hands down the kindest forum on the net! :clapping::thumbsup02::thumbsup01: My wife even complains about the meanness on her mushroom and knitting forums...but not here!

My favorite find was the 1850s ambrotype of the people who lived at a cellar hole now owned by our town. The historical society put out a pamphlet about the mysterious and weird circumstances of these former, locally famous inhabitants. They didn't have a picture...until I supplied this one.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37706&d=1396215321

Cheap Thrills
10-23-2019, 05:21 PM
Hands down the kindest forum on the net! :clapping::thumbsup02::thumbsup01: My wife even complains about the meanness on her mushroom and knitting forums...but not here!

My favorite find was the 1850s ambrotype of the people who lived at a cellar hole now owned by our town. The historical society put out a pamphlet about the mysterious and weird circumstances of these former, locally famous inhabitants. They didn't have a picture...until I supplied this one.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37706&d=1396215321
Cool ! Is their story online anywhere ?

Bucknut
10-24-2019, 12:52 PM
I was wondering about Epi-Hunter and Angel too. I think Epi-Hunter replied to a post about a year a half ago and I thought "wow she is still around". Cool to see that list of originals as well...some of them I have heard of before via YouTube or blog or other forums.

Although I am a coin guy, I think my best find is this pile of War of 1812 era buttons. Not only are they historical but I found them with all 4 of my kids...lot of fun watching them call out "I have another one Dad!"

SeabeeRon
11-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Happy 10th American Detectorist!! :perfect10:

SeabeeRon
11-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Angel is writing poetry now. That's all I know.

https://www.angellionel.com/

It has been almost a year since I last heard from Epi-hunter.

Thanks for update! Both are awesome people!

badgers325
11-07-2019, 09:51 AM
That is truly saving history everyone! Congrats on 10 years AD!!! I am a relative newbie on this site and only go on once in awhile, but I really have enjoyed seeing all the great finds you fine folks have taken the time to show. Glad I found this forum!

Diggler
11-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Congrats on 10 years! Hard to believe really. I was a couple weeks late to make the list (Join Date 11-24-2009) and I don't post much on MD forums but still check a few almost every day. Glad to see AD still going! Almost every name on the list is familiar.

Tony Two-Cent
11-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Congrats on 10 years! Hard to believe really. I was a couple weeks late to make the list (Join Date 11-24-2009) and I don't post much on MD forums but still check a few almost every day. Glad to see AD still going! Almost every name on the list is familiar.

Great to see a post from you, Diggler!

Diggler
11-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Great to see a post from you, Diggler!

Thanks. SE Illinois huh? Have a friend in Olney (home of the white squirrels). Need to get him into digging holes...

Seabornescout
11-13-2019, 01:40 AM
Being a fairly new detectorist, I can count my "finds" total on my fingers and toes. I'll just say congrats to the stalwarts. :perfect10: