PDA

View Full Version : What's your detecting "white whale?"

Full Metal Digger
11-12-2019, 11:25 AM
I thought this might be a fun thread to start! For me, my white whale is a 1955 Rosie. I have found hundreds of silver Rosies but never a 1955!!! I filled two dime books but both are missing the "whale!" I actually Googled it just to see if any were minted that year! LOL

Digger_O'Dell
11-12-2019, 12:25 PM
I actually have quite a few. For the longest time it was a large cent. Any one would have done. But found 2 within a couple weeks of each other. Go figure. But I would have to say as for coins, it would have to be either a 2 cent piece, a trime, shield nickle, or a FE cent, all which have eluded me.
The biggest thing that always disappoints has been a gold signet ring. Hunt where they are found, people near me find them, but i always come up empty.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OxShoeDrew
11-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Fun thread, Dave!
I guess I'd have to say my white whale is a Civil War token as everyone around here seems to have dug them....but I also never dug-
large GW button
Peace Dollar
17 or 18th century US silver
Military Buckle
1922 or 33 wheat cents
...maybe not white whales but on my bucket list.

Tony Two-Cent
11-12-2019, 03:49 PM
I thought this might be a fun thread to start! For me, my white whale is a 1955 Rosie. I have found hundreds of silver Rosies but never a 1955!!! I filled two dime books but both are missing the "whale!" I actually Googled it just to see if any were minted that year! LOL

Your post made me curious, Dave, so I got out my bag of Rosies that I have found detecting. When I poured out the bag my first thought was, "How did THAT get in there?" (Do you see it?)

After sorting them by date I discovered that I also have never found a 1955 Rosie! Very odd!

OxShoeDrew
11-12-2019, 04:30 PM
I see it, Tony....Seated!!!!!

Donnie B
11-12-2019, 06:09 PM
White Whales:

1. Confederate Button and/or Buckle - I spent 10 years digging Civil War sites and never found one.
2. Never dug a Trime, Three Cent Nickel, Flying Eagle Cent, or a Shield Nickel.
3. Capped Bust anything
4. Draped Bust silver (This one really isn't a White Whale since few are ever found.)
5. Civil War Merchants token or Sutler's token.

Digger_O'Dell
11-12-2019, 06:24 PM
Funny how CW tokens seem to be a common item on the list even from areas heavy with CW history. Yet here in Wisconsin I've found a few of them. Go figure..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bucknut
11-12-2019, 09:35 PM
My white whale is a trime. I have a couple of spots that should have one but I have not dig it yet.

A dream coin would be a state copper.

I am also missing a 1955 Rosie. Weird! I have a cheap coin book that I mark all silvers I have found and any other coins except clad and wheats. It is always satisfying to mark off a coin.

Digger Don
11-12-2019, 10:43 PM
I just went through six years of rosies. NO 1955 for me either

del
11-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Interesting thread Dave , of all the rosie's you and Tony dig I would of thought you had doubles or triples of every one in the series .:confused:

There are a few items that have eluded me ….

High on the list is a military plate of some type (earlier the better)
A Massachusetts tree coin ( one was so close but just out of my reach :lol:)
A posy or mourning ring (silver or gold preferably )
A colonial cache (personable items like jewelry , coins combo)

Danny

Oneil1979
11-13-2019, 08:36 AM
For me it’s been anything rev war! I’ve been digging around philadelphia for 15 years, 1812 , civil war , Indian war, WW1, WW2 and Vietnam war but not a single confirmed rev war item. Maybe the next hole?

Noah
11-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Never gotten a 46 rosie. :rofl: Ah actually an American colonial coin of any kind would be a dream find.

Donnie B
11-14-2019, 11:29 PM
Interesting thread Dave , of all the rosie's you and Tony dig I would of thought you had doubles or triples of every one in the series .:confused:

There are a few items that have eluded me ….

High on the list is a military plate of some type (earlier the better)
A Massachusetts tree coin ( one was so close but just out of my reach :lol:)
A posy or mourning ring (silver or gold preferably )
A colonial cache (personable items like jewelry , coins combo)

Danny

Great list Danny. After reading yours I would like to add an early Military Plate, posy or mourning ring and a colonial cache to mine too. Those are all possible with the sites we hunt. I hope the next one turns up one or two on the list.

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2019, 12:44 PM
I suppose mine is a Franklin Half Dollar. It's a coin that has eluded me for 40+ years of metal detecting. Not rare, not valuable, not old, but I can't find one.

Digger Don
11-15-2019, 05:47 PM
I would love to dig a flying eagle someday

washingtonian
11-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Is this some kind of weird conspiracy theory? My brother and I have found nearly 100 silver Roosevelt dimes and not a single 1955 either. What in the world...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Two-Cent
11-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Is this some kind of weird conspiracy theory? My brother and I have found nearly 100 silver Roosevelt dimes and not a single 1955 either. What in the world...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, washingtonian! We're glad you joined us. :yes:

aloldstuff
11-22-2019, 04:08 PM
the mintage of the 1955 rosie is 12,450,181. that is just the plain (Philly). With all of the great detectorists on this form surely one of us must break the curse.....

OxShoeDrew
11-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Maybe there was a strong March of Dimes or UNICEF collection in 1955?

Bucknut
11-22-2019, 05:41 PM
Maybe there was a strong March of Dimes or UNICEF collection in 1955?

The 1955 Rosie's were just a much lower mintage than most other years.

I have a detecting friend who has not been out this year but last week he found a 1955 Rosie on the floor of his work. Go figure.

badgers325
04-17-2020, 12:29 PM
My white whale and this is going to sound weird is a Buffalo nickel. I dig almost everything and cannot find a sticking Buffalo. I have found every piece that was worth 5 cents including a half-dime and Shield. No 1955 Rosie for me either. We should have a contest on next person to find one (that was found metal detecting).

OxShoeDrew
05-29-2020, 11:39 AM
I see Dan found his mourning ring, and I found my GW button...anyone else knock anything off these lists?

Ill Digger
05-29-2020, 10:49 PM
I see Dan found his mourning ring, and I found my GW button...anyone else knock anything off these lists?
I never put my white whale on here. But I can tell you what they where last year.
1-2) Silver dollar or U.S. gold coin (any denomination)
3-4) Trime or half dime
5) Flying Eagle cent
And since then I've found my first Flying Eagle and most recently my first silver dollar!!

So now my list looks like this:
1) U.S. gold coin (any denomination)
2) Halfdime or Trime
3) 3 cent nickel