PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to the Swabian Alps = Great Relics!

Full Metal Digger
11-18-2019, 12:47 PM
Me and the guys decided to head 3 hours east and do some detecting in the Swabian Alps. So many castles and incredible history. Between the 5 of us we found Celtic, Roman, and some Medieval. The interesting thing about this area is the soil is so neutral that iron barely rusts. Our local guide said he thinks it has something to do with the sandstone soil. Anyway, I got 3 good iron artifacts including a Roman folding knife (for shaving). It is the forerunner of modern straight razors. But by far, my favorite relic is the medieval iron buckle. The blacksmith did a great job on it and even carved decorative lines into it. You can't really see it in the pictures but there is still some tinning visible in spots. The sickle blade has a maker's mark of an arrowhead with the letter I (which would have been pronounced as a J). I wonder if the blacksmith was also the armorer. Thanks for looking and happy digging.<br>
<br>
p.s. the landscape pic is a stock photo but that is where I was at.

Tony Two-Cent
11-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Way to sniff out those iron relics that other detectorists have probably discriminated out, Dave! So much wonderful history in those relics. You have done a wonderful job of identifying them also.

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
11-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Way to sniff out those iron relics that other detectorists have probably discriminated out, Dave!

You are right Tony. I often find medieval iron relics just laying on stumps or on the ground where other detectorists discarded them! I tell the guys to give me any iron they dig. If it's junk, I'll toss it for them when I get home. If it's good, I get to keep it!

OxShoeDrew
11-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Amazing, Dave! Your pictures are wonderful too! Keep it up...maybe you could get an extension to stay there? ...or you getting home-sick?

wisconsin digger
11-19-2019, 08:34 AM
I chuckle when I read your posts and this one put my searches in proper perspective. "I went to a local park" and "I went to the Swabian Alps". great post and great finds and as usual great photos. Thx WD

Bucknut
11-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Those are some great iron relics for sure. I am not sure how or why you would come back to the States after living and visiting all of those amazing places? Well done!

Donnie B
11-22-2019, 09:04 AM
I want a transfer. Great finds.

Lodge Scent
11-25-2019, 08:43 AM
That knife blade is amazing!

BTV Digger
11-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Great finds Dave! How much junk iron do you have to dig to get these great relics? Perhaps these are found at "quieter sites".

John

Full Metal Digger
11-29-2019, 01:02 PM
Great finds Dave! How much junk iron do you have to dig to get these great relics? Perhaps these are found at "quieter sites".

John

John, we are always detecting in the forest pretty much away from all modern activity. Almost all the iron I find (even nails) are several hundred years old to 2,000 years old. I keep the more interesting nails and do electrolysis on them too. All that hand-forged stuff is just too cool!

Digger Don
12-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Awesome finds Dave!! You sure have nicer scenery than we have here in Illinois :envious:

Donnie B
12-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Awesome finds. That soil is very kind to iron and that is amazing. I have had almost the same experience with the cellar hole that we have been hunting off and on since the summer. Any button or relic with gold gilt seems to retain most of the gilt. I haven't seen that before at a site.