PDA

View Full Version : Exciting day, more buttons at the colonial farm

catskillcomics
01-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Thought I better get out today as it may be the last time for a while since we got some snow and much colder weather coming this next week.
This place has been putting out buttons and buckle parts like crazy. In the area 1 of the image is where I found the large shoe buckle frames, buckle parts and a couple tombacs, but area 2 is where I have found all the other buttons. I have found about 30 so far in this little area.

I got a really nice surprise today, I found 3 more engraved tombac buttons that match the one I found a couple weeks ago.. all have their shank.. I've never found two matching before let alone 4 of them.

Now this last piece has me really interested, its an inch long, so the overall piece would of been big. I believe it may be lead, or pewter, and I believe it may be a button as you can see where the arrow is, I think may be where the shank was but I could be completely off. I'm hoping a little more gentle cleaning will help me figure out what it may be. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Tony Two-Cent
01-16-2020, 08:03 AM
Those buttons are beautiful, Scott! How exciting that you found a matching set of four. Are they all the same size?

catskillcomics
01-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Yes all the same size and about 6" from each other

Lodge Scent
01-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Nice. I love finding button sets. Those are beauties!

BTV Digger
01-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Great button finds Scott! I bet they used that "area 2" as a clothing dump, especially after someone died from sickness/disease. The cloth dissolved long ago, just leaving the buttons. I bet all those engraved tbs you just posted came from 1 coat.

John

catskillcomics
01-18-2020, 07:25 AM
John, I never thought of a clothing dump, but that makes sense.

Great button finds Scott! I bet they used that "area 2" as a clothing dump, especially after someone died from sickness/disease. The cloth dissolved long ago, just leaving the buttons. I bet all those engraved tbs you just posted came from 1 coat.

John

del
01-18-2020, 01:14 PM
is the blurred out house an old colonial home Scott or newer ? Congrats on the matching tombacs they are beautiful

Digger Don
01-18-2020, 01:19 PM
Those buttons are gorgeous. Great job!!

wisconsin digger
01-18-2020, 11:58 PM
Great recoveries, matching set of buttons, awesome finds. WD