PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of a Clevis Wrench?

fyrffytr1
01-24-2020, 09:37 PM
I found one last weekend but didn't know what it was until I did some research and questioning of certain knowledgeable people. Still not sure of the time period but I believe it to be the last half of the 19th century. You can barely make out the threads on the handle end. Both openings are 3/4". First shot was as found, second shot is after a trip to the wire wheel and third was after spraying with rust conversion.

fyrffytr1
01-24-2020, 09:38 PM
I don't know why the pictures posted like they did. The bottom one should be first. The other two are in order.

calabash digger
01-25-2020, 08:00 AM
Cool find!

Ill Digger
01-26-2020, 01:11 AM
Turned out nice ! But what's it used for? Not a clevis like a
threaded D ring and pin?

fyrffytr1
01-26-2020, 10:43 AM
Turned out nice ! But what's it used for? Not a clevis like a
threaded D ring and pin?

As far as I know it was used like a clevis pin. I am still researching it.

Ill Digger
01-26-2020, 09:15 PM
As far as I know it was used like a clevis pin. I am still researching it.

Hmm. :thinkingabout:
I'm curious. Reminds me of a valve wrench. Something about that plain square hole? :confused:
Let us know what you find out. :popcorn:

fyrffytr1
01-29-2020, 08:32 PM
I found this on a tool forum:
Single/double trees are attached to horse/mule implements by a clevis. Some companies used their implement wrenches as the clevis pin. The pin would go through the implement beam and be there if you needed a wrench.

In order to attach the farm machinery to the horse or mule, a clevis was used; in this case a clevis pin wrench. This multi-functional tool was used to tighten various nuts and bolts on the machinery.

Ill Digger
02-02-2020, 09:52 AM
I found this on a tool forum:
Single/double trees are attached to horse/mule implements by a clevis. Some companies used their implement wrenches as the clevis pin. The pin would go through the implement beam and be there if you needed a wrench.

In order to attach the farm machinery to the horse or mule, a clevis was used; in this case a clevis pin wrench. This multi-functional tool was used to tighten various nuts and bolts on the machinery.

Makes sense. Another multipurpose tool.