PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

Norseman
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi everybody :)
I`m neither an American, nor do I live in the US, but I guess it`s OK that I ask you guys a couple of questions. I live in Norway (Scandinavia) and I bought myself a V3i a few weeks ago. It is my first MD so I`ve got quite a few things to learn. The area I live in is a place where there were a lot og German camps during WW2. I know that when they left they threw lots of stuff in the river or dug it down (weapons too). And camping here for a couple of years they`ve most certainly lost things like the rest of us (coins, jewellery, buttons and so on). My question is then which settings you recommand me use on my MD? I`d like to find everything from weapons to all the other stuff.
Thanks in advance. I`ve learnt alot from this forum allready.

coinnut
09-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Norseman, You don't have to live here or be an American and we're glad you found us. We have some members from the other side of the pond as well as Iceland too. lol I'll let some of the experienced V3i users answer your questions. I'm sure they wil have some questions of their own to ask you about everything you are looking to find. In the mean time, welcome aboard.

hang7575
09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
What ever program you decide to use you are going to have to accept the iron instead of rejecting it. Would be similar to hunting in Civil War camps in the US alot of iron relics are good stuff. You would need the iron range for weapons and artillery, be careful with that one.I am interested in what you find please keep us posted

CyberSage
09-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree, I think the relic hunter approach is best. I don't have any background in this area, but we have a lot of members who do. I believe there is a relic program in the factory preset programs on your V3i. Maybe that would be a good place to start. Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated on your adventures.

Jack

BHNugget
09-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Be careful,you never know where they may have disposed of some live explosives. :thinkingabout:

Norseman
09-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks alot for the feed-back thumbsup01
I can see that the relic-program is a good place to start. In what way would you modify it to become even better? Or does it need to be modified? I mean how is that program in finding coin and jewellery an the other goodies too? :confused:
Thanks again.

hang7575
09-16-2010, 03:45 AM
You could use Relic or the HI pro program which accepts some iron. Lower your recovery speed to 40-45 because I suspect it will be trashy lots of nails and such. Hi pro really sounds off on coins. I would not think that stuff would be real deep unless the area was farmed and plowed alot then it will be at various depths. If you are swinging and hit an overload signal you are going to want to dig that.It usually takes 1or 2 times hunting the site to figure where they were.

Myownwings
09-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Welcome to the forum Norseman. I no longer believe there is a holy grail of a program. I now believe it is all about location. It took me far too long to learn this fundamental of metal detecting.

del
09-16-2010, 01:59 PM
hello Norseman hunting an area like this will seem very unfamiliar the first few times , i agree with the relic mode being a good starting point . run this mode with the least amount of discrimination and accepting vdi numbers down into the -30's to even -50's because your not really looking for just iron targets but the steel ones and they don't hit hard in a certain area of the vdi numbers like iron . steel will smear and jump around alot more than iron unless its a large piece then you probably get an overload , also least amount of discrimination will aid in depth . the relic mode will find other good stuff like bullets , brass casings , coins most anything , its just a matter of getting use to the program and learning how to interpret the sounds . best of luck to you and keep us posted as to how you do , and don't forget the pictures my friend.

Dan

Norseman
09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks you all for your suggestions. It is much appreciated. I`ll have a go tomorrow if the weather is fine.