PDA

View Full Version : Washington Inaugural Button!!!

OxShoeDrew
02-04-2020, 06:38 PM
I FINALLY GOT ONE!! :bananadance:
Maybe 10 Years ago Dan took me to my first cellar hole and as we were all working a skunking he said that someone must have found a GW button here for it to be so pounded. Since then I wanted to find one. Since then I've hunted 100s of holes, some near the inaugural route, some ON it, all within a horse ride away. I remember on some hunts Dan would say, "The inaugural went right through here, maybe we'll find a GW." I never found one...UNTIL TODAY!!!!!:happy::yahoo:
She's a real looker WITH SHANK!!
The inaugural passed 3.2 miles away from this button!
The rest of the garbage :lol: was found at a park a few weeks ago. The reason I include that screw is that I might be the only detectorist to know it's from a baritone sax ligature :)

Lodge Scent
02-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Well Drew that is one awesome chicken hawk ! Congrats on finding that rare bird!

calabash digger
02-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Very nice and you are in a ELITE club now ! LOL

del
02-04-2020, 08:56 PM
Drew , I never knew how intently you were listening to my ramblings :lol: I am however amazed at the niceness of your bird button , it is a great example . Huge congrats on finding a real treasure and piece of history !:perfect10:

fyrffytr1
02-04-2020, 10:50 PM
One of these days I am going to get my passport renewed so I can travel out of Georgia.:lol: Then, I will be heading north to hunt one of those GW buttons. Congratulations on a great recovery. Now, go find another one!

Bucknut
02-05-2020, 09:34 AM
Congrats on a dream come true! That is the sort of thing most of us can only look at on a computer screen but you can hold it in your hand!

Nice bunch of silver too.

Tony Two-Cent
02-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Well there it is! One of metal detecting's HOLY GRAILS! And it's a gorgeous example. Never has a scrawny chicken hawk looked so beautiful!

Huge congrats, Drew! :clapping:

:perfect10:

Donnie B
02-05-2020, 11:03 PM
:perfect10: Congratulations Drew! It's a nice one too! I know how excited you must have felt when you found it. That is an awesome piece of history you are holding in your hands.

catskillcomics
02-06-2020, 06:33 AM
Great find! still looking for mine.

Lodge Scent
02-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Drew have you been able to identify the variety of your great find? I of course am referring to the baritone sax ligature.

OxShoeDrew
02-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Well Drew that is one awesome chicken hawk ! Congrats on finding that rare bird!I'm trilled not only to find it but that it has a shank, is in decent condition, and I didn't nick it! Thanks, Bud!

Very nice and you are in a ELITE club now ! LOLThanks, Digger! I wonder how many people are in the "multiple GWs in one day" club...like Dave (HMN)

Drew , I never knew how intently you were listening to my ramblings :lol: I am however amazed at the niceness of your bird button , it is a great example . Huge congrats on finding a real treasure and piece of history !:perfect10:You're the master, I tried to glean all I could. Oddly, this hole was picked clean years ago, and it's still being picked today (new dig holes everywhere the day I went), but somehow this was 30 yrds from the lip, and not in a weird place. Thanks!!

One of these days I am going to get my passport renewed so I can travel out of Georgia.:lol: Then, I will be heading north to hunt one of those GW buttons. Congratulations on a great recovery. Now, go find another one!Let me know when you're coming and I could take you to a hole. I can't promise it hasn't been pounded but there's aways a chance!

Congrats on a dream come true! That is the sort of thing most of us can only look at on a computer screen but you can hold it in your hand!

Nice bunch of silver too.Thank you, Sir! I have 100s of flat buttons in a bucket...this one is getting it's own display. Any recommendations on a small display case?

Well there it is! One of metal detecting's HOLY GRAILS! And it's a gorgeous example. Never has a scrawny chicken hawk looked so beautiful!

Huge congrats, Drew! :clapping:

:perfect10:Thank you!! I wonder why the eagle is so scrawny on this design..? It does give it charm though :)

:perfect10: Congratulations Drew! It's a nice one too! I know how excited you must have felt when you found it. That is an awesome piece of history you are holding in your hands.Thanks, Donnie! Didn't you guys have a GW fest lately?

Great find! still looking for mine.Thanks! I was starting to think I was hexed. :lol:

Drew have you been able to identify the variety of your great find? I of course am referring to the baritone sax ligature.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/613AC79EwPL._AC_SY355_.jpg It's def a Selmer, not a newer one like this but probs from the 1990s. :lol:
I guess my GW is a "GWI 12-C" The rarest!!!
https://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/gwi-12the-heraldic-eagle-with-six-point-estoile-and-square-punch-border/

Donnie B
02-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Drew, I was just counting the denticles on your GW Button and I came up with 63 Denticles which, you are correct, makes it the rare GWI - 12C! Congrats!

Yes, Dave, Danny and I had a GW Button Bonanza one day last year. We all found GW Buttons and I even made the multiple GW Buttons in one day club! I know how I felt that day and I'm sure you are floating on Cloud 9.

Donnie B
02-06-2020, 04:49 PM
I was reading your post above and Centreville Electronics sells some really nice displays that are matted. They look like picture frames.
I was thinking about buying some for the special buttons like a GW.

del
02-06-2020, 05:50 PM
Drew, I was just counting the denticles on your GW Button and I came up with 63 Denticles which, you are correct, makes it the rare GWI - 12C! Congrats!

Yes, Dave, Danny and I had a GW Button Bonanza one day last year. We all found GW Buttons and I even made the multiple GW Buttons in one day club! I know how I felt that day and I'm sure you are floating on Cloud 9.
Donnie what variety "chicken eagle" did we find ?

Donnie B
02-06-2020, 06:17 PM
Donnie what variety "chicken eagle" did we find ?

Dan, all of the Eagle buttons that me, you and Dave found that day were the GWI 12-B variety with 54 Denticles around the edge. They were all the same variety and that probably means they were purchased as a set.

Lodge Scent
02-06-2020, 09:04 PM
Wow, a 12 C is indeed a rare bird! Very cool!

The Rebel
02-09-2020, 06:23 PM
WTG Drew on the find of a lifetime!

Donnie B
01-31-2021, 10:50 AM
Congrats on the GW!

Moosapalooza
02-06-2021, 02:48 PM
I'm hoping some day to find one of those. So awesome