PDA

View Full Version : Patience Grasshopper!

Donnie B
02-11-2020, 02:30 PM
As you all know, I have been learning from The Master, Danny LaMontagne, on The Art of finding Colonial Shoe Buckles.67643 We got out Sunday with the gang to hit some colonial cellar holes. As you probably already know, The Master, dug a beautiful, huge, colonial shoe buckle and an equally beautiful silver applied knee buckle. I, The Grasshopper, stayed most of the day around the smaller cellar hole. I kept telling myself that Danny had found a shoe buckle there and a copper was surely waiting to be found. I just had to be patient and let it come to me. I didn't find the copper but I did find my 2nd complete colonial shoe buckle in the past two weeks!6764467645 Here it is all cleaned up! 67646 I found a few buttons and a couple of other doo dads but nothing special. I did take a few pics of the beautiful scenery out in the woods. 676476764867649 Finally, here's a group shot of all the buckles that we found Sunday. Our friend, Ron, found a really nice knee buckle that you can see in the pic.67650

Bucknut
02-11-2020, 02:43 PM
That is a beautiful buckle! Nice patina and everything!

del
02-11-2020, 04:59 PM
If I had listened to my own advice and ventured back into that area after going through it once on the stacked stone side I may have found that one two But I'm glad you stuck it out and grabbed that one Donnie , Like Jeff said many go over these and think they are more modern junk because they are so shallow sounding (like a can) or they over load a machine again the person thinks it is big junk . You're the patience King and earned that reward !:notworthy: I see you giving me a run for buckles this year !

DAN

Donnie B
02-11-2020, 06:22 PM
If I had listened to my own advice and ventured back into that area after going through it once on the stacked stone side I may have found that one two But I'm glad you stuck it out and grabbed that one Donnie , Like Jeff said many go over these and think they are more modern junk because they are so shallow sounding (like a can) or they over load a machine again the person thinks it is big junk . You're the patience King and earned that reward !:notworthy: I see you giving me a run for buckles this year !

DAN

Grasshopper learned valuable lesson last year not digging overload signals. Grasshopper watched Master dig nice shoe buckle on target Grasshopper passed by. :girlcry:

calabash digger
02-12-2020, 08:26 AM
Nice!!!

Lodge Scent
02-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Good work there Donnie. You hang around with the Shoe Buckle Badger and you will learn a thing or two.

I have one complaint though. Why are all the cellar hole foundations in CT always so well made, never choked with brush and located in scenic spots? :envious:

Donnie B
02-13-2020, 09:25 PM
Good work there Donnie. You hang around with the Shoe Buckle Badger and you will learn a thing or two.

I have one complaint though. Why are all the cellar hole foundations in CT always so well made, never choked with brush and located in scenic spots? :envious:

Oh, we have detected a countless number of sites that are choked off with brush, mountain laurel (evil stuff :devilish:), thorn bushes, and saplings. They're not very photogenic so I hardly ever take a photo of those sites. 67652

The Rebel
02-15-2020, 05:41 PM
Nice job guys!

OxShoeDrew
02-17-2020, 07:58 AM
That is one good looking buckle!! That hole is perfect too! Now is the time these sites open up. I like to hit the areas where the dead ferns are, others have to pass them up during the warmer months. :congrats: