PDA

View Full Version : FOUR Watch Winders on a chain AND my FOURTH colonial shoe buckle!

Donnie B
03-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Got out Danny on Sunday to hit some cellar holes. It was a great day for digging in March. I love the weather we have been having this year. The day started slow for me and I only made a couple of finds before our lunch break including this possible International Order of Odd Fellows silver plated (lead backed) rosette. 67755 After we stopped to eat lunch I went back to the cellar hole because I kept telling myself that there had to be a coin next to the hole. This hole was filled with trash from the 30's or 50's (I suppose). By the way, I hate to detect around cellar holes filled with trash. 67756 I didn't find the coin I was looking for but I did make a unique find. I found a watch chain with FOUR watch winders! :yahoo:67757 Danny had found the outside ring of a pocket watch case on the other side of the hole earlier. I didn't find the coin I was looking for but I did make perhaps my most unusual find at a cellar hole (no doubt due to the trash dump). It was a McCain / Palin campaign button! :lolsign: 67758 Late in the day I made my final great find and it was my FOURTH colonial shoe buckle this year! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:67759 It's another plain "working man's" buckle but it's a different design than my other ones and it still has a piece of thread attached to one end of the cross bar. 67760

Bucknut
03-19-2020, 09:19 AM
The chain with the 4 watch winder keys is really cool! Banner worthy for sure. All seem to be in really great shape too. Well done!

Tony Two-Cent
03-19-2020, 09:57 AM
The buckle is nice, the rosette is great, but the chain and watch winders are awesome! What an incredible find! I have added it to the banner. :-)

:congrats:

Donnie B
03-19-2020, 10:11 AM
The buckle is nice, the rosette is great, but the chain and watch winders are awesome! What an incredible find! I have added it to the banner. :-)

:congrats:

Wow! That's the quickest banner in history for me. Thank you! I should amend the statement in my post where I said that I hated to hunt cellar holes that had trash dumped in them. I hated hunting them in the past but I have changed my mind. Danny and I were talking about it and other detectorists probably give up and move on from trashy holes. I now love trashy holes!

Lodge Scent
03-19-2020, 03:57 PM
Nice finds Donny B. These days we all carry smart phones in our pockets instead of watch winders. That is a NICE looking patina on that shoe buckle. How did Dan manage to let that one escape his clutches.

Donnie B
03-19-2020, 05:27 PM
Nice finds Donny B. These days we all carry smart phones in our pockets instead of winders winders. That is a NICE looking patina on that shoe buckle. How did Dan manage to let that one escape his clutches.

Thanks! Actually, I'm old school. I have a few pocket watches that I don't carry but I still wear my 1968 manual wind Omega Speedmaster. There's just something that makes me feel good about winding my watch once each day. As far as to how Dan missed it, he didn't. We had just got to the last site of the day and it happened within the first 10 minutes. He went one way and I went the other. I got lucky.

Full Metal Digger
03-19-2020, 05:34 PM
Why oh why couldn't that chain be gold!!? That has got to be the most unique find I have seen in many years. Great looking shoe buckle too. Congrats on another great hunt.

Donnie B
03-19-2020, 06:28 PM
Why oh why couldn't that chain be gold!!? That has got to be the most unique find I have seen in many years. Great looking shoe buckle too. Congrats on another great hunt.

That's a little bit of a mystery. All of the watch winders show traces of gold gilt but I didn't see any on the chain when I was cleaning it. Another detectorist commented on one of my posts and his theory was that it was a watchmaker's fob. That would explain the four very ornate keys but hung on a plain chain.

del
03-21-2020, 11:25 AM
What a very good day that turned out for you Donnie :clapping::congrats:, to find 4 watch keys still on a pocket watch chain is almost unheard of sir !:beerbuddy: great save with the shoe buckle at the end of the day too !