PDA

View Full Version : Epic hunt (in my book) at an old school house field.

Fire Fighter 43
04-16-2020, 10:42 AM
This site was a one room school house field that dates from 1852-1953. The first day I found my very first fatty Indian dated 1863. The second days highlights were an 1852 Large cent and an 1864 2 center. Two coins that are rare for my area of the country. This was only my 4th Large cent and 3rd 2 center in 44 years of detecting. I need some help with an ID. It’s the coin like object that has two links attacked to it. It is about the size of a trime and it’s made of copper. It has the date 1864 and a 1 on one side and a bust on the other. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
The video: https://youtu.be/roxTYFRH4XQ

Donnie B
04-16-2020, 10:48 AM
Wow! That is an epic hunt!

Full Metal Digger
04-16-2020, 01:33 PM
GREAT finds! I love seeing those old school yard finds. Your mystery coin is a stylized 1 dollar gold coin. It would have been gold plated and was part of a bracelet or necklace. It was made so it would look like a real gold coin at first glance.

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2020, 04:18 PM
FMD is right on the nose regarding that small coin with loops attached. It was definitely a piece of jewelry made to look like a $1 gold coin. An 1864 should have the Princess Head though, so it has the wrong bust on the obverse. (Or the wrong date. 1854 would be correct.) Still a cool find.

You found some great coins but the highlight in my book is that spectacular 1871 Indian Head! Wow! That is a semi-key date and it is in terrific shape! Does yours have the shallow N or bold N on the reverse? An 1871 Indian is one of the few I have never found.

Congrats on the incredible hunt, Jeff! That is a wonderful site and I hope you are going to pound it!

:perfect10:

aloldstuff
04-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Another great group of keepers. Detecting 44 years :notworthy:. You still managed to get one more 2 cent piece than me, what were your dates. Both of mine 1865. That LC matches the schools date :thumbsup02:. And I am in total agreement with Tony about the 1871 IHP.

Fire Fighter 43
04-16-2020, 07:29 PM
GREAT finds! I love seeing those old school yard finds. Your mystery coin is a stylized 1 dollar gold coin. It would have been gold plated and was part of a bracelet or necklace. It was made so it would look like a real gold coin at first glance.
Wow! Thanks for the information, now that makes it one of my favorite relics. Too bad some of the gold didn’t stay intact.

Fire Fighter 43
04-16-2020, 07:50 PM
Another great group of keepers. Detecting 44 years :notworthy:. You still managed to get one more 2 cent piece than me, what were your dates. Both of mine 1865. That LC matches the schools date :thumbsup02:. And I am in total agreement with Tony about the 1871 IHP.
OK, you made me go look at my 2 Centers, I actually have found 4, surprise, surprise, LOL. 2 65’s and 2 64’s

Fire Fighter 43
04-16-2020, 07:54 PM
FMD is right on the nose regarding that small coin with loops attached. It was definitely a piece of jewelry made to look like a $1 gold coin. An 1864 should have the Princess Head though, so it has the wrong bust on the obverse. (Or the wrong date. 1854 would be correct.) Still a cool find.

You found some great coins but the highlight in my book is that spectacular 1871 Indian Head! Wow! That is a semi-key date and it is in terrific shape! Does yours have the shallow N or bold N on the reverse? An 1871 Indian is one of the few I have never found.

Congrats on the incredible hunt, Jeff! That is a wonderful site and I hope you are going to pound it!

:perfect10:

Thanks for pointing out that it’s a semi-key date, Da, didn’t even occur to me to look. I would grade it VG, you can just see the L & I in Liberty. It has such a nice green patina for a field find. As far as the shallow or bold N, I can’t tell, maybe you can. Here is a photo of the obverse..

Tony Two-Cent
04-16-2020, 09:01 PM
That's the bold N which is the more common variety but it's still a semi-key date.

wisconsin digger
04-16-2020, 09:52 PM
Awesome hunt and finds (video as well). That unusual piece has a similar look to a Civil War store card Token, minus the rings. Great recoveries. WD

Bucknut
04-17-2020, 05:02 AM
Wow that's an epic hunt in just about everyone's world! Especially these days. My favorite is that 1871 indian...semi key date and in great condition! Should be a silver there somewhere. Hope you find it!

badgers325
04-19-2020, 07:21 AM
Great hunt Jeff. Congrats on the finds. When this Covid stuff is finally behind us, I have a permission from the first home in Brookfield. I have hunted it for about 3 hours, but only hit a small part of the property.

By the way, that is an epic year!

del
04-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Super hunt !!! great variety of coins to , Jeff .:notworthy:

BTV Digger
04-20-2020, 03:54 AM
Great hunt! Just love the '71 IHP - a semi-key date as you know.

jg