PDA

View Full Version : Hibernia, bunch of buttons

Lodge Scent
04-19-2020, 05:57 PM
Hibernia (1723) and 1 button from last week. 19 buttons and 1 thimble today. Different sites.

https://i.imgur.com/m1rDWV2.jpg

Hibernia is toasted but it does have 2 counterstamps "ES".

http://i.imgur.com/M6cIJeg.jpg (https://imgur.com/M6cIJeg)

Last week left. This week right. The button site has given up a ton of buttons (80+) over the years but only 3 coppers. Not the best ratio.

https://i.imgur.com/hfJTKIv.jpg

BTV Digger
04-20-2020, 04:30 AM
That's a nice bunch of relics Jeff! 19 buttons in one day - solid! Is that a tombac 4-hole button? If so I've never seen one.

John

Lodge Scent
04-20-2020, 07:21 AM
Good eye John ! Yes that is indeed a 4-hole tombac. It's only the second one I have ever found.

aloldstuff
04-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Congrats on the keepers. I have close to 100 coppers and not one Hibernia:crying02:. 19 buttons is nothing to sneeze at. Next to a coin a button is next on my wish list.

Full Metal Digger
04-20-2020, 10:23 AM
Holy crap, a 4-hole tombac! I had heard legends but never seen one. Well done sir!

Lodge Scent
04-20-2020, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the keepers. I have close to 100 coppers and not one Hibernia:crying02:. 19 buttons is nothing to sneeze at. Next to a coin a button is next on my wish list.

Funny how that works Al. I have over 100 coppers and not one MA copper! I have several Hibernias and will swap you one for your MA copper. The one in your avatar. :cheesysmile:

Lodge Scent
04-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Holy crap, a 4-hole tombac! I had heard legends but never seen one. Well done sir!

:lolsign: It's all relative to what is possible Dave. On this side of the pond, the 4-hole tombac is a nice find.

OxShoeDrew
04-20-2020, 03:34 PM
You and the Deus must have been dialed in on those smaller mid conductors! I got out for a while yesterday, mostly to swing and walk. I think I dug a shotgun shell. Congrats on the stamped coin and bag full of buttons. What do you do with all your buttons? My pile is on the ridiculous side. Congrats!

Lodge Scent
04-20-2020, 04:32 PM
You and the Deus must have been dialed in on those smaller mid conductors! I got out for a while yesterday, mostly to swing and walk. I think I dug a shotgun shell. Congrats on the stamped coin and bag full of buttons. What do you do with all your buttons? My pile is on the ridiculous side. Congrats!

Drew, I call my high frequency coil "The Button Killer". 28 kHz is deadly on those smaller targets. I don't like to go much higher than that or I start digging BB sized bits of lead etc. Regarding what to do with all the buttons you've collected over the years.... What do you call that type of art where they use bits of objects to make a picture, but you don't see the individual objects until you look really close? That would be a good project for a pile of several hundred buttons.

OxShoeDrew
04-21-2020, 08:26 AM
wow, 28kHz...I can't choose a single frequency that high on the my Nox 600, but I have 20 and 40 within multi-frequency. Those higher ones are available singly with the 800. Sadly, the 800 wasn't available at the time. My next machine, baring any new developments will be the 800.
My highest single right now is 15...and my T2 was 14, so I pounded my sites in that frequency.
You're being facetious with the art idea but I think we could really make lots of jewelry and art with our finds. Congrats, again!

Lodge Scent
04-21-2020, 11:43 AM
Drew I was not being facetious :). I've also considered making wind chimes out of that pile of brass D buckles I have. You probably have enough brass to melt and cast yourself a new saxophone.;)

Yeah 28 kHz seems to be the sweet spot for the small mid conductors. Some Deus users will use 54 kHz or even higher but I find I spend too much time digging too much tiny stuff. And there is a loss of depth to some degree with the higher frequencies especially if you crank up the Recovery speed.

aloldstuff
04-21-2020, 06:44 PM
Funny how that works Al. I have over 100 coppers and not one MA copper! I have several Hibernias and will swap you one for your MA copper. The one in your avatar. :cheesysmile:

So it seems to me that the Hibernia is more common than the MA copper....I'll wait and see if I can get one on my own. Thanks for the offer though.....:cool:

del
04-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Great finds Jeff , whats your reactivity and silencer at ?

Lodge Scent
04-21-2020, 09:11 PM
Thanks Dan. OK for most of the buttons it was R=3 and S=2....Not a typical combination but I've been experimenting with Silencer. The last 4 or 5 buttons/button fragments were pulled right from the iron infested lip with R=4. In my opinion, no need for R=3 unless you are in the heavy iron and no need for R=4 unless you are in the extreme iron.

del
04-23-2020, 04:34 PM
Thanks Dan. OK for most of the buttons it was R=3 and S=2....Not a typical combination but I've been experimenting with Silencer. The last 4 or 5 buttons/button fragments were pulled right from the iron infested lip with R=4. In my opinion, no need for R=3 unless you are in the heavy iron and no need for R=4 unless you are in the extreme iron.

good to know Jeff , where do you usually run your discrimination and frequency ?

Lodge Scent
04-23-2020, 09:40 PM
There is no single approach Dan. If I am at a site that hasn't been totally cleaned out of high conductors (are there any such sites left ?), then I would start with 8 or 12 kHz, Reactivity 1 or 2, Silencer = 0, Disc = 8. Once the "easy" targets have been cleaned out, I like to hit it with 18 or 28 kHz, still using R=1 or 2, S=0 or 1. The plan of attack for detecting in iron is quite different. Typically use higher frequencies and higher Reactivity, some Silencer.

A lot of settings just boil down to personal preference. I like Multi Tones because full tones annoy me. Discrimination I usually have at at "0" or "8". Just depends on how much noise I feel like hearing.

Donnie B
04-27-2020, 05:25 AM
Great find on the Hibernia with the counterstamps!

calabash digger
05-06-2020, 08:07 AM
Nice haul!