PDA

View Full Version : Ten minutes with the ETrac

kenfen
09-16-2010, 08:01 PM
So, the ETrac finally arrived a day later than planned, not the dealers fault, I gave him the CC # wrong... duh.

Anyway, I was like a kid a Christmas with it and then, I couldn't find batteries. We're renovating the kitchen so stuff is everywhere. Ok, so I finally find batteries and there's about 10 minutes left of daylight thanks to fall rolling in now. I went out anyway and found some clad, an old dog tag and just marveled at the tones in the headphones. Such a pleasure to hunt with. This has really nice round sounds to listen to. I love it. It's so different from the DFX and that was truly my point. I wanted something new and exciting to try.

I didn't have a clue what the good numbers were, but I did fine. The ETrac pinpoints very well and I'm quite used to VCO pinpointing from the DFX. The depth meter works a little differently than I'm used to but it was no biggie.

In 10 minutes I could tell that I was on the right track and getting this was the right move. I went to the area that I've combed in search of coins and found nothing. The DFX only found some wine/soda bottle tops. I came up with an old dog tag and I know I went over that area with the DFX.

It's raining right now, but in the morning I get a chance during the day to really get out and run it around. I'm very happy with my decision. Will I miss the DFX? No, I've got some really nice finds to look at because of the DFX, but as I grow into the ETrac, well, it's just a whole new ballgame now.

The included Koss headphones are not bad. Very comfy on the ears.

So, no big finds for the first outing, but it wasn't much of a hunt. Just a quick run out of the house and back in.

Regards, Ken

angellionel
09-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Congrats, Ken! Nice maiden voyage. :grin: I have a feeling that you will be doing quite well with the E-Trac. thumbsup01 Keep us posted on what you find and your experiences with the machine. :yes:

Jason in Enid
09-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Glad to hear that you are so happy with your E-Trac. You are starting out better than I did, All the tones and the DD coil made pinpointing different from what I was used to. I think you will have the hang of it no time!

Play with the detector, read the books. read the books, and play with the detector. Soon you will understand it all!

Just remember, GO SLOW!! count one thousand one, one thousand two.... until your reach four. That should be roughly how long it takes to sweep the coil in one direction.

Myownwings
09-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Ken,
I am also very interested in this particular transition involving the two detectors. Please keep us updated (or pm me if you prefer).

Jason in Enid
09-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot.

You'll want the Sun-Ray X-1 inline probe to go with your E-Trac. It's so good, I can't believe they aren't a standard option.

kenfen
09-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Thanks guys for all the encouragement and tips. I'll keep you posted.

Have a great day!

Regards, Ken

coinnut
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Great start Ken. :clapping: I agree that you will want a X-1 probe soon lol It's part of the addiction rofl Something about hearing the fluety tones while probing should be illegal :cheesysmile: Maybe that's why when I get a deep silver tone and the probe is locating it in the hole, I just have to hear and see the numbers a bunch of times before I actually dig it out. lol Nice that you got a chance to try it out.

Ken,
I am also very interested in this particular transition involving the two detectors. Please keep us updated (or pm me if you prefer).

It's different from the DFX, but it also gets comfortable very soon after you use it. I like my DFX, it has done me well for many years. Some of my fondest finds are with the DFX, but now I feel I would need a refresher course if I had to use it again. lol I just slip into the E Trac mode and focus on the ground :confused: Errie :shocked01:

pointer80
09-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Hey Ken, congrates on the e-trac. You will love it. I came from a whites v3i to the e-trac and have no regrets. It is a awesome machine. Good luck and happy hunting!