PDA

View Full Version : One of these doesn't belong

z118
09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
I've been mostly tot lot hunting with the Compadre lately, and doing alright at it, but franky I can't motivate myself to post pics of clad on this forum in light of the insane silver finds you all make. lol

At any rate we finally got a bit of rain so I took today off to enjoy life and get in some swing time in the dirt. I hit my most productive silver spot which I've hunted very heavily, resulting in fewer and fewer finds. This spot is a school built in the 50's. With that in mind, six of the seven coins in the pic below make perfect sense. The seventh... not so much! Sure as heck made my day though!

Cheap Thrills
09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice going ,if you're like me , that Seated will be keeping a smile on your face for quite some time . :clapping: :cheering:

Jason in Enid
09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Wow! Realyl nice finds! That seated must have been liberated from mom or dad's collection then lost on the playground.

I hear ya about the hunting, you hunt where you can when you can. During summer I leave the grass areas alone too.

Glad to see your foray back into the dirt worked out so well.

z118
09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
That seated must have been liberated from mom or dad's collection then lost on the playground.

Well... it's actually the second seated dime (my only two ever) that I've found at this spot. Last summer I also found two Indian Head pennies and a two cent piece there too. As it turns out, there was a farm on the site before the school was built, so my best guess is that this coin is from that time. I'll tell you though, there is nothing sweeter than just hoping and praying for a Rosie and finding a seated instead!

RobW
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Land has always been there, buildings come and go. It's all a matter of what was there before. Nice finds

del
09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
very nice Z , that seated would of put a big smile on my face as well , congrats :peace:

coinnut
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Some people would think you were wasting your time at a school from the 50's, but you have some insider information lol Previous occupation leads to some very nice old coins :clapping: Congrats on your second Seated (Roosevelt) lol

z118
09-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Here's some close ups, she sure is worn. There's something about a worn smooth coin though; feels nice between the fingers. Just makes you wonder how many hands it went through before being lost.

angellionel
09-18-2010, 05:45 AM
I know what you mean. The history behind the coins and relics we find is another thing that makes the hobby fascinating and fun. :yes: Sweet find, Z. Congrats!

xzlr8n
09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Whole bunch of miles on the Seated for sure. Congrats thumbsup01 thumbsup01

jkress
09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Certainly that one is out of time frame. Probably was in the ground before the school was built.... but you never know.

Congrats.

Epi-hunter
09-18-2010, 05:21 PM
That is a beautiful coin. A bit worn, but as you pointed out, it is a reminder of the history of the coin, all the places it has been, etc.

hockeyguy
09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
oooohhhh sweet seated! :peace: