PDA

View Full Version : Another AMAZING hunt for War of 1812 era buttons!

Bucknut
05-30-2020, 09:42 AM
With out going into all the details I am a very blessed man but for the last 3 months or so I have been working so much that it was taking a toll on my sanity. So a couple weeks ago I put in time to take this past Memorial week off and head up north to my cottage and do nothing but metal detect, fish or look for morels in the woods or anything else but work. Just needed to get away.

Of course I was hoping to find at least 1 War of 1812 era button for the contest I had on here but I was also hoping to find an old coin or silver....and I did all that and then some!

So there are 2 spots that my family has found lots of buttons at. The first is the button "dump" site where many are burnt and the second is an old home site or out post site that we first detected last summer. The first day I went to the out post site by myself as the kids stayed at the cottage. I just wanted to detect by myself. 10 minutes into the hunt I found my first button and I could easily tell it was military and a sweet example too. So I took a pic of it in the dirt pile and a little video clip which I will try to post on youtube (I just watch youtube, not make videos, so be kind). I found 10 buttons that first hunt over a 4 hours period.

The find of the week came on this hunt. I was in the middle of the iron patch and got a repeatable signal. I dug down and removed about 4 or 5 square nails. Some of these are kinda cool and remarkably in decent condition. I reswung over the hole and was getting a mid 20's signal and I thought that this was pretty high for a button. my next scoop had a VERY old copper coin in it! It is worn but I am 99% sure it is a King George II Irish Hibernia Half Penny from 1736-1760. On the back where the date should be I "think" I can see the faint impression of the "3" and if so then it is either a 1743 or 1753. What ever date it is, it is the oldest coin I have found! And my first KGII!

I have to wonder how this coin came to this spot. First the French occupied Fort Mackinac and then it was the British until about 1812 ish. Then the US took over. At this particular site I have only found US type buttons so I have to wonder if this outpost was first set up by the British and it was dropped then?

Here are some group and individual shots.

This one was a first for me. Light Artillery 1st Regiment. I only rinsed it in water.

Here is a group shot of all of the flat buttons I found. The shiny ones are a tombac style that I lemon juiced and they often just shine up like new. The others are brass or similar material. I have not cleaned up all of these and probably won't.

Below is a flat button but I noticed something interesting on the back. There are stars and an eagle on top and the word "gilt" on the bottom.

Below is a cuff button Eagle with Script I. I only wiped it with my fingers.

This is has not been cleaned at all. Just wiped it a little.

This is a pretty one! And probably my favorite. I dipped it in lemon juice for a few minutes.

Below are 3 musket balls I found in my uncles yard which is next to my cottage. Also found the Native American tinkling cones there too. The other item is a very small brass buckle with the prongs all rusted up. I found it at the button site.

Below is a button my Mom found last summer after I had left. In Alberts book of buttons it looks like a Great Coat Button from the 1820's. But NONE of the examples in that book have a 5 pointed star. I wonder if this is an anomaly or the book is mistaken. The buttons in the book have either an 8 pointed star or a dot or nothing. I think it is on page 35 for you guys who have the book. Let me know what you guys think!

I highly recommend that if you are feeling overwhelmed with anything that you go on a metal detecting vacation and get away from the cares of life for a few days. I feel quite refreshed. This might change Monday morning though.

Oh I did find a merc that I will post another time.

Thanks for looking! Jared

Full Metal Digger
05-30-2020, 06:17 PM
Beautiful buttons! I think you are digging an amazing part of early American history! That big coin looks silver to me. Maybe it's just the way the picture is but the color does not look like a copper coin at all.

fyrffytr1
05-30-2020, 10:05 PM
I couldn't find the five pointed star US button in any of my references. You might try contacting Don Troiani. He has co-authored several books on early American militaria.

chainshot@aol.com

fyrffytr1
05-30-2020, 10:08 PM
I just found this one at Ridgeway civil war archive. It shows a 5 pointed star one.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Button1125-earlyArmyGeneralService-GI70-zblankFlatPre1830Manufacture.html

calabash digger
05-31-2020, 07:20 AM
Holy cow! Congrats

Bucknut
05-31-2020, 07:21 AM
I just found this one at Ridgeway civil war archive. It shows a 5 pointed star one.

http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Button1125-earlyArmyGeneralService-GI70-zblankFlatPre1830Manufacture.html

Ah I think you pointed me in the right direction. The button I have has a back mark though so it's not quite the same.

Digger Don
05-31-2020, 04:09 PM
Geez Jared, I can only imagine what your full button collection looks like!!
You always kill it when you go button hunting. Great job and excellent finds!!!
:congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
06-01-2020, 07:57 AM
This post has blown my mind! Those buttons are off the charts! They are in spectacular condition! So much wonderful history there. If I has sites like that to detect I would find it difficult to ever leave.

Congrats on the KG II also! Super old coin! It's worn but it's in decent shape otherwise. Amazing!

:perfect10:

Lodge Scent
06-01-2020, 09:15 PM
:wow:Bucknut congrats on another spectacular hunt. Man you are rescuing a ton of great buttons. Congrats on the KGII as well !

Ill Digger
06-02-2020, 12:31 AM
Yeah man!:yahoo:
Another awesome hunt up north! That is an amazing site! The buttons come out of the ground in such pristine condition!! I bet the ground is super sandy!? It would make for great drainage and help preserve those awesome buttons!

Congrats!!:grin:

Make sure to leave us a link to your video.

Bucknut
06-02-2020, 09:51 AM
Yeah man!:yahoo:
Another awesome hunt up north! That is an amazing site! The buttons come out of the ground in such pristine condition!! I bet the ground is super sandy!? It would make for great drainage and help preserve those awesome buttons!

Congrats!!:grin:

Make sure to leave us a link to your video.

Here is the link to the video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwOT40We8Ag

BUT it is kinda fuzzy. I recorded it on my iPhone and it is very clear on it but not on you tube. I only recorded the reveals without me chatting about it. VERY peaceful to hear the birds chirping and old buttons popping up. It is pretty short but you can kinda see how relaxing this place is.

If you really wanted a clear video pm me your phone number and I will text it to you.

OxShoeDrew
06-02-2020, 01:58 PM
..and on top of everything that place is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Jared...this is an amazing post....jaw dropping. I have no idea what could go on the banner...the whole thread should! Spectacular...I hope you have more land to check there...maybe you want to alert someone about the site's significance?
You have a large coil on there...I forget, Equinox?

Bucknut
06-02-2020, 03:55 PM
..and on top of everything that place is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Jared...this is an amazing post....jaw dropping. I have no idea what could go on the banner...the whole thread should! Spectacular...I hope you have more land to check there...maybe you want to alert someone about the site's significance?
You have a large coil on there...I forget, Equinox?

Yes yes and yes! Thank you! Lots more private land and even more state land to detect. There are a few local Detectorists who have hit these same places for years and have donated some very amazing things to the local museum. If you think I have some amazing things you should see their personal collections...lots of history! University of Michigan has done some digs nearby too. Some Native American activity too. Like I said in my original post ... I'm blessed to have access to a place like this.

CTTodd
06-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Your cashing in at that site. Glad for the day off

aloldstuff
06-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Anything you find and it gets cleaned by "one swipe" is fantastic. You have some great pieces of American history. Loved the post and thank you for motivating me to get out there.:thumbsup02::perfect10:

Donnie B
06-03-2020, 05:27 AM
So many awesome finds. Love the buttons and the tinkler cones. I'm a bit jealous! :perfect10:

BTV Digger
06-22-2020, 08:27 AM
Another spectacular set of buttons Jared! For all the multitudes of coppers and plain flat buttons I've dug over the years, I only have like 3 military buttons from that era, and in that condition. A huge congrats once again!

John

milco
07-08-2020, 12:36 AM
Absolutely stunning finds!! Congrats! I’m with you on the vacation thing! A big part of why I got in to detecting was as a way to relieve stress and decompress from work!