PDA

View Full Version : My second Continental Army USA button!

Donnie B
09-17-2020, 01:02 PM
A few weeks ago I posted my very first Continental Army USA button. We went back to the property and lightening struck for the second time. The first one I found a few weeks ago was a Large Size USA button in great condition. The second one is a Small Size variety.

The second one was found in an almost identical situation as the first. I found it dead center under a tree root with my XP Deus. I was running my Pitch program and got the faintest signal. I knew it sounded good and about 8 inches down under the root I found my second USA button in the past few weeks. Sadly, it's in very poor condition, as pewter buttons for the most part don't hold up well, but I'm still on Cloud 9. It's my second USA button and I now have two distinct varieties!68447684486844968450

Full Metal Digger
09-17-2020, 01:36 PM
Wow Donnie that's pretty amazing! You must be a pretty darn good detectorist to pick a pewter fragment that tiny at 8 inches! I'm impressed. Too bad it's not a little more complete but hey, they are as rare as hen's teeth in any condition! Congrats.

Bucknut
09-17-2020, 02:43 PM
Another very cool and rare piece of history! Well done.

Donnie B
09-17-2020, 04:37 PM
Wow Donnie that's pretty amazing! You must be a pretty darn good detectorist to pick a pewter fragment that tiny at 8 inches! I'm impressed. Too bad it's not a little more complete but hey, they are as rare as hen's teeth in any condition! Congrats.

I love my Deus and have learned to pay attention to those faint deep sounding signals that repeat. I went back with a sifter and dug out that root looking for the rest of it but I guess it has turned to dust.

Lodge Scent
09-17-2020, 08:57 PM
That is pretty cool Donnie B. Any identifiable USA button is a great find. I used to call my Deus the "Button Killer". When I got the HF coil, it became the "Pewter Button Killer".

OxShoeDrew
09-19-2020, 09:01 AM
You're the only guy who knows how USA buttons always ring up :lol:
Big congrats, Donnie! Imagine how that Deus would perform if we got some rain!!

Donnie B
09-23-2020, 05:06 PM
You're the only guy who knows how USA buttons always ring up :lol:
Big congrats, Donnie! Imagine how that Deus would perform if we got some rain!!

I found the USA buttons in New Jersey and we had been getting rain up until a few weeks ago. It's getting drier now and that is definitely affecting depth.

By the way, the first one, which was the Large Size button, rang up 65 in 14khz. I didn't pay attention to the numbers on the second one since it was such a faint signal. Plus, I hunt in the X/Y screen so the numbers are hard to see for me.

Oneil1979
09-24-2020, 08:06 AM
Can you save some for the rest of us please :lol:, congrats on saving both those buttons, amazing example from your first find & obvious the second didn’t have much time left. Thank you for sharing.