PDA

View Full Version : Medieval Door Latch/Lock I found

Full Metal Digger
11-24-2020, 04:07 PM
Hey Diggers,
I found an exciting relic this last weekend! A medieval door latch. The front plate is missing but you can see where the skeleton key went. It is very ornate and is hand-engraved with flowers and flourishes. I put it through 36 hours of electrolysis followed by a coating of paraffin. Time period is late 1500's to 1600's. It is completely hand-forged and has a great look to it (IMO). I have no idea how it got in the middle of the forest though! I think this is one of my favorite relics and not something that was on my bucket list but an exciting find for sure.

Tony Two-Cent
11-25-2020, 10:38 AM
This is spectacular beyond words, Dave! I wonder what it was attached to and how it ended up in the woods? Of course, maybe there wasn't a woods there 400+ years ago. I love the hand-engraved designs on it. Craftsmanship was an amazing thing back in those days. The etchings are totally unnecessary to the functionality of the latch, yet the fabricator added them with pride. A latch like this wasn't for peasants! Perhaps it was on a treasure chest. :thumbsup01:

Congrats on the wonderful find, and the incredible job of cleaning and preserving it! :clapping:

:perfect10:

Lodge Scent
11-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Wow! The coolness factor of that piece is up there with some of your other great finds.

OxShoeDrew
11-25-2020, 01:31 PM
Such delicate work! You're going to need to mail your finds home! Are you anxious to get home even though you're making out like a bandit?
:congrats:

del
11-25-2020, 04:17 PM
the craftmanship on a semi ordinary item is astounding makes you wonder what the home looked like , very interesting piece Dave