PDA

View Full Version : No Mercs, Jeff!

OxShoeDrew
12-28-2020, 03:46 PM
Last week's foot of snow was gone after we got two additional inches of rain the other day. Only the top few inches of soil were frozen today, so I was able to get out for some digging.
The ground was saturated and ready to be detected. I hit a new field for a few hours.
The Barber was the length of my pinpointer deep!
Anyone know what that fingernail looking thing is? Thanks!

wisconsin digger
12-28-2020, 09:14 PM
Great looking BARBER. No idea on the relic. I got out the 23rd but I think Wisconsin is shut down for awhile. Congrats on the finds. WD

Tony Two-Cent
12-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Sweet looking Barber Dime! :loveit: I love it when they have detail like this, and when they're from the 1800s!

The relic looks like it may have been attached to leather?

Lodge Scent
12-29-2020, 09:58 PM
:lol: Well Drew, sometimes you just have to settle for a Barber. ;) Your Nox likes that deep silver !

OxShoeDrew
12-30-2020, 07:55 AM
Thanks, fellas! Yesterday, this 1822 was found after 5 min of digging, I couldn't believe how deep it was. Almost gave up, thinking it was deep iron. I kept digging as it was a perfect quarter signal from all directions.
These are all bonus hunts at this time of the year.
I guess that other thing is some sort of rope guide??

Lodge Scent
12-30-2020, 08:38 AM
Interesting relic there Drew. It does appear to be some sort of rope guide as you say. But I've never seen one in that style. It looks to have more wear on the leading edge ? Nice copper too!

Tony Two-Cent
12-30-2020, 11:03 AM
I guess that other thing is some sort of rope guide??

My brain was trying to convince me that it is part of a roller catch but my brain could be wrong. I couldn't find a match.

OxShoeDrew
12-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, Tony, it could be one of those.
Here's some better pics.