PDA

View Full Version : Boom!

del
01-05-2021, 08:54 PM
More finds from the "Artillery sites" , these were a group early homesteads not terribly far from an American fort and from all the recent artillery , light artillery type buttons many must of been enlisted there. Five of us made the hike in and even though we were forced to leave a bit early due to weather , we all did pretty well as we have been for the last few weeks . It was still dark when we arrived at the first cellar site and it was still that way when i got an early draped bust half cent !:bananadance:sorry for only the cleaned up pictures of it 68940 68941 , I wished we found more of these coins :yes:. while still working this particular small field i dug some of the bigger iron targets (its a habit of mine to check) I like using the x/y screen on the deus and if i get a certain type of line configuration on an iron target i dig it . Many times this has netted me two tine colonial forks and other oddities , well this time the oddity was this 68942 a three pound cannon ball !:shocked04: no doubt one of the young artillery men brought home a practice ball or souvenir from the fort !!!:thumbsup02: these 3 pounders sometimes referred to as "goloopers" were used from the revolutionary war to as late as the civil war but most of the buttons and items are between the late 1700's to about the 1830's . My buddy Ron did his magic on restoring the ball from the before to after.68943 Also i knabbed a broken end of what is known as "bar shot" , basically its two smaller iron balls connected by a rod between 8 and 12 inches long. It would tumble once out of the fired cannon designed to wreak havoc on ships sails , masts and rigging. with this was about 10 buttons and trinkets . 68944

Good way to start out the new year!!

Dan

Lodge Scent
01-05-2021, 09:32 PM
Wow! That is a cool find there Dan. Cleaned up great too! Nice half cent. I remember every single one I have ever dug because I have only found one. And it was the first copper I ever found. Imagine getting hit by that 3 lb golooper.

Tony Two-Cent
01-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Great finds, Dan! The Draped Bust Half Cent cleaned up well. Might it be 1803? Hard to read that last digit.

The cannonball and bar shot are awesome finds too! Both of those could wreak havoc when fired. Boom indeed!

:congrats:

Bucknut
01-06-2021, 10:06 AM
Oh I like that cannon ball for sure! Your buddy did a great job restoring it. The half cent is on my bucket list...maybe this year I will find one?

Full Metal Digger
01-06-2021, 02:22 PM
Nice finds Del, love the 1/2 cent. It's in great shape too. The cannonball and bar-shot are very nice too. What's the squarish thing next to the toe tap?

del
01-06-2021, 07:46 PM
Wow! That is a cool find there Dan. Cleaned up great too! Nice half cent. I remember every single one I have ever dug because I have only found one. And it was the first copper I ever found. Imagine getting hit by that 3 lb golooper.

There is an account of a British Marine or sailor being hit by a "galooper" just after the "Raid of Essex" in the war of 1812 , poor soul i couldn't imagine ! Thanks Jeff

Great finds, Dan! The Draped Bust Half Cent cleaned up well. Might it be 1803? Hard to read that last digit.

The cannonball and bar shot are awesome finds too! Both of those could wreak havoc when fired. Boom indeed!

:congrats:

Tony the half cent is an 1805 , Thank you sir!

Oh I like that cannon ball for sure! Your buddy did a great job restoring it. The half cent is on my bucket list...maybe this year I will find one?

Yes Ron does some amazing work , he's probably tired of seeing all the iron i've collected . lol Thanks

Nice finds Del, love the 1/2 cent. It's in great shape too. The cannonball and bar-shot are very nice too. What's the squarish thing next to the toe tap?

Dave its a decorative piece of pewter , although i'm not sure what its from but its in remarkable shape for pewter. Thanks

CTTodd
01-07-2021, 06:42 AM
BOOM is Right ! super nice find and skilled use of you Deus. I didn't know that you had found this. Really nice

Ill Digger
01-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Wow! I'm amazed at how well the cannonball came out! That's pretty!:loveit:
Sweet hunt Dan!
Congrats! :grin:

del
01-07-2021, 06:01 PM
BOOM is Right ! super nice find and skilled use of you Deus. I didn't know that you had found this. Really nice

Its because i don't plaster forty Facebook groups with my finds like everyone else does , only one of the very few i belong to at random . Sorry you missed it Todd and thanks .

Wow! I'm amazed at how well the cannonball came out! That's pretty!:loveit:
Sweet hunt Dan!
Congrats! :grin:

Thank you Tim

Digger Don
01-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Love that half cent, very nice condition! The cannon ball cleaned up great too.
Nice way to start 2021 :thumbsup02:

BTV Digger
01-10-2021, 08:31 AM
Great finds Dan and a solid start to your year! Love both of those finds. I probably need a higher-end machine than the AT-Pro to help me discriminate between good and bad iron targets. I've dug a few nice iron items over the past few years, but they seem to be just random, lucky digs more than me actually "knowing" it's likely something good.

John

del
01-11-2021, 05:58 PM
Love that half cent, very nice condition! The cannon ball cleaned up great too.
Nice way to start 2021 :thumbsup02:

Thanks Don

Great finds Dan and a solid start to your year! Love both of those finds. I probably need a higher-end machine than the AT-Pro to help me discriminate between good and bad iron targets. I've dug a few nice iron items over the past few years, but they seem to be just random, lucky digs more than me actually "knowing" it's likely something good.

John

John , i like to dig big sounding iron at times and it has paid off many times .Thanks

Noah
01-12-2021, 09:19 AM
If I lived where you do, so close to such amazing sites I'd ........just wow! Speechless!:notworthy:

OxShoeDrew
01-12-2021, 10:34 AM
I don't know where this site is, nor do I want to know, but have you heard about the Civil War cannon testing grounds in north west CT? They were producing the largest cannons the world had ever seen...the projectiles must have been immense.
Congrats!! Let me guess...it was dark when you arrived...and dark when you got home :lol:

calabash digger
01-13-2021, 08:58 AM
Wow!!

The Rebel
01-14-2021, 06:03 AM
That's a great group of finds Dan!

Donnie B
01-16-2021, 02:17 PM
Dang you Danny! I dug up a dozen horse shoes after you found that cannonball! I tried like hell to find one!:rofl::rofl::envious: