PDA

View Full Version : Early Military buttons, Connecticut Copper and more!

Donnie B
01-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted my last few hunts with The Deus Dudes and we have all had some great finds in the past month. In late December I found a button that I have been wanting badly for years. It's an 1814 - 1821 Eagle and Cannon one piece Artillery button.68967:loveit::loveit::loveit: That same day I also found an 1821 - 1830's Eagle A one piece Artillery button with an L Hayden & Scovill backmark. 68968:yes: I also found a copper that day! It was a 1787 Connecticut Copper (Draped Bust Left) that was about 9 inches down on the lip of a cellar hole. I was in Reactivity 5 and 28khz. Who says the Deus is not a deep machine? 68969:loveit::loveit::loveit: The following week I found another 1821 - 1830's Eagle A button but this one has a different backmark (stars and dots).68970:yes:Finally, this past week I found another first for me. It's a powder flask spout!6897168972 I would love to know if anyone has an idea about the brass/copper spike with the rose head. It was found in an area with artillery buttons. I found references to a "bulge barrel" used by artillerists but I haven't found an image of one online.

Bucknut
01-16-2021, 06:46 PM
Awesome buttons! Glad you got that eagle on canon that you have been wanting for so long.

I've never heard anyone say the feud could not go deep. When I was swinging it depth was never an issue.

Great post!

OxShoeDrew
01-17-2021, 01:07 PM
WOW, DONNIE! Spectacular! If I dug one of those powder spouts I throw it out not knowing what it was :lol:
That button is a real winner. Congrats!!! Hopefully the weather holds. I remember in 2011 hunting the entire year!

Lodge Scent
01-18-2021, 10:43 AM
Great button! Would love to dig one myself. A CT at 9" at R=5 !!! That is remarkable at a cellar hole lip. You lose significant depth with Reactivity cranked up that high especially with so much other metal nearby. But in my test garden I have gotten a hint of a barely diggable signal on a 10" copper at R=5. It sings out nicely at an R=2 or 3. I am guessing your CT was laying just about perfectly horizontal. That was good work sniffing that one out Donnie. You can guess what Reactivity setting I will be playing with next time I go out. ;)

Donnie B
01-18-2021, 07:15 PM
I am guessing your CT was laying just about perfectly horizontal. ;)

I'm not sure how it was laying in the hole but it was such a "text book" signal on the X/Y screen that I knew it was a copper before I dug it.

del
01-18-2021, 07:54 PM
Congrats on the solo hunt Donnie , i seriously would of joined you had i know were going back there .

Great button! Would love to dig one myself. A CT at 9" at R=5 !!! That is remarkable at a cellar hole lip. You lose significant depth with Reactivity cranked up that high especially with so much other metal nearby. But in my test garden I have gotten a hint of a barely diggable signal on a 10" copper at R=5. It sings out nicely at an R=2 or 3. I am guessing your CT was laying just about perfectly horizontal. That was good work sniffing that one out Donnie. You can guess what Reactivity setting I will be playing with next time I go out. ;)

nice Jeff we had only ideas as to how deep it went in 5 but seeing Donnie's coin hole and pin pointer almost all the way in , we knew the naysayers were off on its depth reports. 10 inches :shocked03:

I'm not sure how it was laying in the hole but it was such a "text book" signal on the X/Y screen that I knew it was a copper before I dug it. That was a great find in that heavy iron Donnie .

Donnie B
01-18-2021, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=del;232948]Congrats on the solo hunt Donnie , i seriously would of joined you had i know were going back there .

I wouldn't mind digging those sites exclusively until the vegetation comes back in the spring. We have done so well there. Granted, you might only find a few buttons but the chances are very high that one or two each hunt will be early military. I like those odds.

Lodge Scent
01-18-2021, 09:35 PM
Yeah you've got to love a find like that one. I've hit deep faint targets with an R=2 and when I went R=3 or higher, it just would not pick it up anymore. That's why I assume that deep CT was a nice flat target for R=5. But I don't care how flat is was lying, still a very nice recovery from the heavy iron. I wish the XY screen also had the mineralization bar. I like the XY screen but I've gone back to the horseshoe screen for one reason. With my mild soils I use mineralization bar as an iron meter on some of those debatable deep signals.

The only thing I didn't like about the XY screen was that ox knobs looked just as good as a copper. :lol:

The Rebel
01-20-2021, 06:21 AM
WTG Donnie on the awesome finds. Do you know who lived there so you can check out their military service?

calabash digger
01-20-2021, 10:13 AM
Love it!