PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 1550 Alphabet Coin I Found

Full Metal Digger
03-01-2021, 01:37 PM
Hello friends,
I was able to get out this last Sunday to that castle ruins about 15 miles from my home. The castle was built in the late 12th century with the first recorded reference being in 1237. I spent about 3 hours hiking around looking for good spots to detect and settled on a flat area. Right away I began finding bits of medieval iron bits and nails (I'm still cleaning all that stuff up). Here is a coin I found. It is a "Nuremberg Rechenmeister" counting coin used by the money counters. "Rechenmeister" translates to arithmetic master. The front depicts a money counter at his table and the back depicts the alphabet that was current in 1550. The coin is copper and is in pretty good shape for being in the ground almost 471 years! The front is toasted but the back is in pretty good nick. Some things to notice about the alphabet of 1550: Backwards D, no J, no V (the one you see is U), and no W. After doing some research I believe the coin depicts Johann Neudörffer the Elder. I can't find anything to back that up but check out his story in Wikipedia!

Here is some pics and thanks for looking!

Noah
03-01-2021, 03:12 PM
Hope you won't be too bored when or IF you ever get State side LOL. :beerbuddy:

del
03-01-2021, 03:59 PM
cool place and cool coin , many cultures used the letter "I" for both the "J and I" until the mid 1700's , also on many of my King George coins "Georgius" is spelled with a "U and sometimes a V" 6908469085

wisconsin digger
03-01-2021, 09:58 PM
WOW, that's a unique find. Congrats on the recovery. WD

Bucknut
03-02-2021, 06:56 AM
Yeah that's a unique little coin there! I like it!

Tony Two-Cent
03-02-2021, 09:36 AM
That is one of the coolest coins I've ever seen, Dave! :wow:

So cool that it has the alphabet from 1550 on it. Amazing piece of history! You gotta love it!

"the back is in pretty good nick"

Uh oh, he's picking up the local colloquialisms. Next thing you know he'll be calling us all "mate". :lol:

Full Metal Digger
03-02-2021, 07:41 PM
That is one of the coolest coins I've ever seen, Dave! :wow:

So cool that it has the alphabet from 1550 on it. Amazing piece of history! You gotta love it!

Thanks Mate!

Sharpshovel
03-02-2021, 07:50 PM
Interesting coin find! Do you use topo maps and GPS to scout your areas? Just wondering, I study topo's to scout prospective areas regularly.

OxShoeDrew
03-03-2021, 06:45 AM
Such an interesting find, Dave! It's been such a rewarding trip for you. Have your been posting vids of your adventures?