PDA

View Full Version : Amazing little ring brooch I found today!

Full Metal Digger
03-24-2021, 09:17 AM
Hello friends,
Today I went detecting for 3 hours at the 1734 battle site (the French trenches I hit a couple months ago). Not many signals but I did see other dig holes and there was usually a piece of trash or iron next to each one! Anyway, I got a pretty sweet signal and fully expected it to be another musket ball. What a surprise it turned out to be a very tiny ring brooch from the 1200's! It shows two birds kissing above a heart. Also the brooch is in the shape of a heart. I wonder if this was used in a wedding or maybe a wedding gift? Thanks for looking and happy digging! Dave.

Noah
03-24-2021, 11:48 AM
Can I get a discount ticket to your museum if I order early? Or family pass? :wow:

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2021, 04:26 PM
Another day, another museum piece. As always, you did a wonderful job of cleaning and preserving it, Dave! It's amazing that the pin survived as well. Spectacular find!

:perfect10:

del
03-24-2021, 05:03 PM
its remarkably similar to a "Luckenbooth" brooch we rarely find here Dave , maybe your item's origin somehow coincides with them . great find !

Dan

Full Metal Digger
03-24-2021, 05:20 PM
its remarkably similar to a "Luckenbooth" brooch we rarely find here Dave , maybe your item's origin somehow coincides with them . great find !

Dan

I agree the styles might be related. I looked at Luckenbooth pictures and it looks like they mostly date to 1700's. I noticed the pins tend to be on the back of the brooch but I did find one or two examples with the notched pin like mine. I also noticed that luckenbooth brooches almost always have a crown or thistle at the top of the heart. Ring brooches were very popular in the 13th century when most people wore pull-over tunics. In the 14th century fashion changed and tunics went out of style pretty quick (as well as the need for a ring brooch to hold it together at the neck).

Full Metal Digger
03-24-2021, 05:25 PM
Another day, another museum piece. As always, you did a wonderful job of cleaning and preserving it, Dave! It's amazing that the pin survived as well. Spectacular find!

Thanks Tony, when I dug it I was 99% sure it was going to be another musket ball since it rang in as a scratchy 83 on my deus. Once I had it out of the hole, I thought it was a tiny buckle of some sort but then noticed it had a dainty little pin still attached. I very carefully put it in my holder for silver coins (which is usually empty) so it couldn't get bumped or damaged by the other finds in my pouch.

Full Metal Digger
03-24-2021, 05:27 PM
Can I get a discount ticket to your museum if I order early? Or family pass?

Noah, you can get a 10% "acquaintance" discount! :rofl:

Donnie B
03-28-2021, 05:35 PM
Oh, now I really love that! Wow! :envious::perfect10::congrats:

Digger Don
03-28-2021, 07:51 PM
Another great job Dave. Beautiful piece!!:wow:
I hope you don't get bored hunting back here in the States.
I too would like to order a ticket to your Museum! can't wait!!
See ya soon!!!