PDA

View Full Version : Learned Something

OxShoeDrew
05-09-2021, 11:34 AM
Happy Mother's Day!

I saw a YouTube vid talking about a common mistake people make when switching to a small coil. We speed up the reaction (recovery) time setting because we're trying to get separation in iron. I always did that...I'd put a 5in coil on and keep the detector on it's speediest setting... and apparently lost A LOT of depth. The vid said we should slow the reaction setting down because there's no need for quick separation, that's the reason we put the small coil on. It was counter intuitive to me, thinking faster = better...but I tried it.

This morning I went to a cellar hole lip that I've hit 30 times with the T2 and Nox, 11 and 5 inch coils. In moist and dry soil. The place was abandoned in the 1930s so plenty of trash to work through.
In about 2 hr I dug everything in the pic save the 53 registration plate and rein guard. Don't get me wrong, they were all tough signals, and I dug two bent nails for every keeper, but slowing down the reaction speed using a small coil seems to give a slight advantage to allow you to hear deep, co-located targets.

I dug the reg plate at a new permission where there isn't much to find but the owner is pleasant. owns a 20 year old basic Whites detector, and seems interested in the hobby.

The guard was found last week at a field before the grass grew.
Thanks!

del
05-09-2021, 01:52 PM
Interesting ... just for sake of conversation what do you think you lose for depth (on the knox) with a small coil and faster recovery speed , Drew? The theory of quick recovery speed is to allow the processor to operate fast enough to hit targets closer together and sounding them off as opposed to running signals into each other or the first one masking the second , slower recovery speeds usually did this . good finds sir .

Dan

OxShoeDrew
05-09-2021, 02:26 PM
Thanks, bud!
At 7:05 he gets to his proclamation but watch the whole thing if you have time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3-rNI3yiSM&t=9s&ab_channel=ManAloneOutdoors

del
05-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Thanks, bud!
At 7:05 he gets to his proclamation but watch the whole thing if you have time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3-rNI3yiSM&t=9s&ab_channel=ManAloneOutdoors

his key words which i would agree with was "in a low or semi clean of contaminants in the soil" , if you are using a small coil its usually because there is iron or "trash" in the area and slowing a recovery speed in this trashy or busy area can only muddle up the response of individual targets . The Deus and DFX have proven this countless times , with the DFX you did really lose a lot of depth as it had very limited capabilities in the heavy iron even with the little 6x4 shooter coil . The deus however is still surprisingly deep with the 9 inch elliptical coil in its fasted recovery speed of 5 , Donnie and I have both seen and dug targets in the 7 , 8 and even 9 inches along a cellar lip and these were not always "dominant" or high vdi targets but the tiniest of buttons .

Dan

OxShoeDrew
05-09-2021, 03:58 PM
That's what I always thought.
... maybe there are targets that both 11in and 5in coila on fastest recovery miss, but a 5in on mid recovery can hit.
...or maybe it was just a placebo that got me to slow down and listen :lol:

wisconsin digger
05-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Nice finds and Thx for the tip. Looks like the Barber saw a little heat. WD