PDA

View Full Version : My first real 'public' detecting. (thanks Bucknut)

AJ Peacock
06-03-2021, 06:46 PM
I had some trepidation about going out in 'public' with my detector (I suppose everyone feels that way at first). But after a very helpful confidence building phone call with Bucknut, I went to a local park off the beaten path after work today.

I spent about an hour and was trying to be picky about the signals I dug. I dug 12 holes and ended up with 7 coins, 3 can slaw and 2 signals that just disappeared (probably more aluminum pieces). The coins were:
2013 Nickel
2001 Quarter
2000 Nickel
1963 Nickel
1960 Roosevelt Dime
1947 Canadian Penny
1944 Wheat Penny

I'm pretty stoked, finding 4 reasonably old coins in such a short time. I hadn't dug any 13's on purpose until I'd found the Dime, Quarter and pennies. Then decided to dig some 'nickles', that is when I found the Aluminum and the Nickles. The last piece of Aluminum I dug, I knew what it was going to be but wanted to prove it to myself. The park was really hot and dry and I was just digging with a Lesche hand tool.

I just rinsed them off a little to read the dates when I got home.

Quick pic with an old phone.
AJ

OxShoeDrew
06-04-2021, 04:14 AM
That's an AMAZING first hunt!!! I don't think I found a silver coin for a year. Well, you do have a good teacher in Jared! :) Congrats!

Bucknut
06-04-2021, 05:59 AM
Well done and congrats! Looking forward to some hunts together!

wisconsin digger
06-04-2021, 07:44 AM
Only down side to that hunt was you may have been too successful. Apparently you learned your detector in a hurry as you dug a lot of good signals. Congrats on a great opening (Public) hunt. I found 4 wheats yesterday so I may need some silver tips. WD

AJ Peacock
06-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys, I forgot to mention that I used the Park 1 coin hunting settings from Andy Sabischs book at first. I'd also setup the Cherry Picking program on the Field 1 mode. I actually switched to the Cherry Picking mode with all the discrimination and found most of the coins using that program. The Equinox is certainly a nice tool.

AJ

Digger Don
06-05-2021, 12:15 PM
Great job ,Congrats. Now your going to be hooked!!!
Looking forward to seeing your next hunt!

AJ Peacock
06-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Thanks Don, I spent a couple hours this weekend and found one more wheatie, a small gold ring from an earing or necklace and a small chrome piece from a Range Rover ( a few thousand more pieces and I'll be driving around in style!). I'm up to just over $2 in clad.

AJ

BTW: I hate can slaw and pop tops!

badgers325
06-10-2021, 07:57 PM
Congrats on the first hunt AJ. I remember the weirdness of swinging a detector at first in a public area. I guess once people come up to me and I show the enthusiasm of this hobby and them and also show them I clean up while detecting, they get very interested and are super friendly. Only had one experience so far that was bad. You will always find a negative person out there, but don't let it stop you from doing what you like to do. Looking forward to seeing more.

AJ Peacock
06-14-2021, 08:17 PM
I've been out almost every night, mostly clad and couple wheats until tonight!

My first Merc (1920).

This is how it came out of the dirt (6" down, really really dry conditions). The signal was a little scratchy 26-27.

Noah
06-15-2021, 06:13 AM
Great. Now we have more competition. You're learning way too quick!! :perfect10:

Bucknut
06-15-2021, 07:09 AM
A nice early merc!