PDA

View Full Version : Newly Retired, 3 ID Questions

OxShoeDrew
06-17-2021, 01:56 PM
Hey folks,
48 hours into retirement and I found three coppers, a Shield Nickel, and five wheat pennies. I could get used to this life style :lol:
Yesterday morning I found the shield, cut copper, and a teens wheat at one site.
Today I found the other two coppers, four wheats, and a beat up pocket watch (not pictured) at another site.

I'd appreciate any help IDing the 1787 (pics 1 and 4), the date on the shield (which is tantalizing clear-no rays), and the copper that looks like it's a right facing bust with letters on the left (2nd pic).
Thanks, everyone!

Tony Two-Cent
06-17-2021, 03:27 PM
I want to be retired too! :girlcry:

It looks like retirement is agreeing with you, Drew! Congrats on that wonderful milestone! I can't help you too much with the coppers, but the date on the Shield Nickel might be 1868?

Great finds! You have the touch!

wisconsin digger
06-18-2021, 07:28 AM
Congrats on retirement. Don't advertise to much we have to keep a few people working. Nice finds, but can't help much on the ID's as I don't see that kind of age here in the Badger state. Don't work to hard. Thx for posting WD

OxShoeDrew
06-18-2021, 07:36 AM
Thanks, fellas!
That detail-less one seems to be a KG3.

Bucknut
06-18-2021, 07:42 AM
Congrats on retirement and also on those finds! Well done!

Cheap Thrills
06-18-2021, 11:45 AM
https://coinscatalog.net/usa/coin-nova-eborac-copper-km-9-nova-eboracs

Congratulations on your well deserved retirement Drew ! :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
06-18-2021, 12:19 PM
Thanks Jared and George!
Thanks for the ID, George!! Where've you been? I hope you're well!

Cheap Thrills
06-18-2021, 01:41 PM
Thanks Jared and George!
Thanks for the ID, George!! Where've you been? I hope you're well!

I'm doing ok Drew . Having a slow year detecting wise .Been real busy with chores , property maintenance ,
repairs , baby sitting and such . the pandemic closed down a lot of my schools and accesses to the neighboring fields . A few places I used to hunt are no longer safe due to unsavory , possibly dangerous
characters lurking about .
I still get out for an occasional one to two hour evening hunt . So far this year my best coin has been a well worn 1900 Morgan that survived a fire (second Silver Dollar of my career ) . It was actually found at my next door neighbors . Other than that 4 silver Rosies , a War Nickel .a Buffalo Nickel , about a half dozen Wheats
( I don't even keep a close count on those anymore ) and a silver Rosie and a few foreign coins from a coinstar machine .
No gold or silver jewelry in quite a while now .
I'm really enjoying my Nox 600 and am looking forward to some of my old sites opening up . :yes:

OxShoeDrew
06-18-2021, 01:57 PM
Wow, a Morgan!!! Good for you! Glad to hear you're well, and thanks again for the ID!

Cheap Thrills
06-18-2021, 02:15 PM
Wow, a Morgan!!! Good for you! Glad to hear you're well, and thanks again for the ID!

Your welcome and congrats on your great finds ! I got a chuckle out of your mystery coin it kind of resembled a woman in a wheelchair holding a detector . I've never seen that type coin on a forum before . That's quite a rare find !
I'll post my recently found " been thru Hell Morgan " . :lol:

OxShoeDrew
06-18-2021, 02:58 PM
"Women in a wheelchair holding a detector" :lol:
I bet the current queen can be seen in a wheel chair.
How'd you ID it, you saw the VIRT?

Cheap Thrills
06-18-2021, 04:25 PM
"Women in a wheelchair holding a detector" :lol:
I bet the current queen can be seen in a wheel chair.
How'd you ID it, you saw the VIRT?

I'm not aware of what VIRT stands for ? What I did was google " coins with women sitting down " . That gave me a site with a whole bunch of different coins mostly American Seateds but not that particular coin .I then googled 1700's coins with women sitting down and it gave me that picture and a place I could purchase one . Yeah , it's surprising how quickly and accurately these computers can home in on something with even the simplest of clues .

The Rebel
06-19-2021, 06:25 AM
WTG Drew, those are some great retirement finds!

Digger Don
06-19-2021, 06:40 AM
Congrats on your retirement!!
Nice bunch of old coins :congrats:

Lodge Scent
06-21-2021, 07:27 AM
Good for you Drew for both the retirement and the finds ! Nice recovery on that Nova. It is one that has eluded me.

badgers325
06-23-2021, 04:12 PM
Congrats on retirement. My wife would see much less of me when I retire than she does now or maybe she wouldn't want to see me as much.... Cool finds, but I am with WI Digger, don't see anything like that in the Badger State when it comes to coins. I am sure there are a few around maybe from the fur trading days, but not too many

Menzl
06-24-2021, 03:17 AM
Have fun in retirement. Great finds. Very nice Coins. That sounds scary: ,,A few places I used to hunt are no longer safe due to unsavory , possibly dangerous
characters lurking about .,, Are there drug addicts running through the forests?

OxShoeDrew
06-24-2021, 04:17 AM
Thanks, everyone!!

That sounds scary: ,,A few places I used to hunt are no longer safe due to unsavory , possibly dangerous
characters lurking about .,, Are there drug addicts running through the forests?No, Menzi, That was George/Cheap Trills who mentioned those issues at his sites...he's in a large city. The most dangerous thing I have to deal with are ticks :lol: