PDA

View Full Version : Triple bucket list day!!

badgers325
06-28-2021, 11:57 AM
If there is one thing I have learned in the last few years is to be patient and trust my research. It is paying off this year.

1. My first shield nickel and I almost threw it in my garbage part of the bag for I thought it was an knockout from an electrical box. For giggles, I took a soft bristled toothbrush and very slowly started at it. Then I caught the "5" in the light while holding the coin a certain way. Of course you think to yourself, did I really see that? These pictures are of it mostly cleaned up. If there is anything magical I can use to do more, I am all ears.

2. My first large cent (1845). While many of you get these all the time, finding one in WI isn't the easiest thing to do. Cut the plug and it was dead center when I lifted the plug. Glad my shovel didn't hit it. 6942469425694266942769428694296943069431

3. 3.25" x 2.375" buckle with the name of GutHeil H Loecker engraved on the front side. Tried my best to find this guy, but not in anything I can find in history books/online etc.

4. I have always wanted to find a Civil War era hard times token and got one. Bucknut should have found this one since it is from his state.

5. If anyone knows what language the triangle object is, please let me know. I cannot figure this one out at all.

There is a lot of land to swing on here, but all these items came from around the old barn area that must have burned down and someone spread all the nails evenly with a rake and stated to themselves "good luck future metal detectorist".

Noah
06-28-2021, 02:01 PM
The token is among my favorite and is still on my bucket list. Was there when Digger Don got his. Might just have to go buy mine as it doesn't seem I'll get one any other way! :notworthy: Maybe the moderator will fix your picture and also fix mine. ;)

badgers325
06-28-2021, 03:04 PM
LOL Noah. I am awful at this stuff. Seems like whenever I send photos, something weird happens or it goes somewhere I don't think it will. The answer to my troubles is post more photos. Eventually I will get it. The token was the easiest find. I thought I had a zincoln and it was a surface find (on top of dirt after a rain)

Full Metal Digger
06-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Congrats on all the great finds you had! I have to say though, that token is amazing! The patina and condition is probably the best I have ever seen. Well done!

Cheap Thrills
06-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Great finds and slow is definitely the way to go . I also came up blank on GutHeil H Loecker except for a stupid modern day video which had nothing in common with your find .
Here is something on your track medal , unfortunately it doesn't say what language that is .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-BNTA-KAMMA-BNTA-RUNNING-TRACK-AND-FIELD-MEDAL-AWARD-PIN-24790-/402840262273?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=20a09893c5cb120e8b36f849e3f29e0f

badgers325
06-28-2021, 04:11 PM
Full Metal - I couldn't believe the condition it was in either. Thank you! I always love reading your finds in your signature.

Cheap Thrills - Thank you. Cannot believe you found it! Only thing I could find on the buckle is that it is a Norwegian name. Going to have to take a trip to Madison someday and go to the state historical society and see if they have anything I can use to find the family. Would love to give this to one of his great great grandkids.

Bucknut
06-28-2021, 08:23 PM
Wow where to start!!?? A bunch of great and rare things! Glad you spotted the shield nik before you tossed it. That plate is awesome and so is the largie. But the civil war token is really really nice! They sometimes come out a bit crunchy but yours is so crisp! A great display piece.

That token is banner worthy!

Tony Two-Cent
06-29-2021, 08:36 AM
5. If anyone knows what language the triangle object is, please let me know. I cannot figure this one out at all.

It reminds me of the Greek alphabet. Is it supposed to say Beta Gamma Beta? Except they have used Greek letters to spell it out?

Menzl
06-29-2021, 10:10 AM
Hello. great and exciting found objects. Even with something German! Gut Heil is the so-called ,,Turner Gruß,, (Sport Greeting? In engl?) of the German Gymnastics Federation. The federation was founded in the 1848 years to keep the German youth fit. Does Turnvater Jahn mean anything to you? In the years after the revolution of 1848 many Germans emigrated to the usa. I think you say forty-eight'ers. The object must come from such immigrants. Now some hypothesis: I know that for example in Antietam there is a monument for the Turnschützen. These gymnastics clubs have united in the Civil War then to military associations. On the side of the Union. The name is used for identification similar to the slips of paper that some soldiers carried. Can this be true from where it was found? Really great finds!

Menzl
06-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Look at these

badgers325
06-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Bucknut - Thank you. I am going to do some very careful cleaning of the token. I got a lot of dirt off, but have a bit to go. I think it was dropped almost brand new. There is quite the rim on the edge. Almost reminds me of a fatty Indian in thickness.

Tony - I tried figuring it out in Greek, Roman and other languages from that region. Cheap Thrills found one on Ebay!!

Menzl - I think you are on the right track with this. Now that I have an idea on Gut Heil, I am guessing the H Loecker is the person's name. 1848 fits with the house and potentially someone after the original owner. Wisconsin was part of the Union during the Civil War, so that makes sense too.

Will let you all know what I find out.

Darryl

Tony Two-Cent
06-29-2021, 10:52 AM
Tony - I tried figuring it out in Greek, Roman and other languages from that region. Cheap Thrills found one on Ebay!!

Here's a different track/running medallion with the same words on it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-SPORTS-Medal-Medallion-Kama-Bnta-Bnra-Football-Runner-Running-Enamel-/372645397167

badgers325
06-29-2021, 11:06 AM
Thanks Tony! Definitely getting these figured out.

Menzl
06-29-2021, 11:26 AM
There is a Hermann Löcker who was touring the USA at the time. He was a mining engineer. I think that's too unlikely. Perhaps the German name Löcker was changed to Loecker in America. Because you don't need ö.

OxShoeDrew
06-29-2021, 02:47 PM
:happy:I use the happy dance about twice a year, and you get one :lol:
Amazing finds, Darryl! Have you cleaned the coin and token? I suspect they are even prettier than the pics indicate. I'd love to see another pic, but no pressure :lol:
Great ID George!
Congrats on a bunch of great finds!

badgers325
06-29-2021, 04:32 PM
Menzl - I think you are 100% right on the name. There were a lot of German immigrants in the Milwaukee area that I live in. I thought it was a Norwegian name, but very little showed up on Google/history books. Going to do some more research with your suggestion on the name.

Drew - Both pieces came out of the ground darn near perfect. The Large Cent was in sandy/soft earth (which is very rare here). I blew at the coin in the field and about hyper-ventilated getting the sand off and did a very light rub to rid the rest. Left it as is for I kind of like the dirt around it versus wiped completely clean. I do get out East fairly often, so maybe sometime I will bring it with. I will buy you a coffee and you can show me all your finds (just make sure they are drool proof)

I haven't touched the token yet other than wipe my greasy forehead and wiped the coin. I may take a very light toothpick to it this winter or on a rainy day. Just too chicken to clean everything thoroughly. And thank you for the happy dance! I was dancing all afternoon that day! I will bring this one too.

Menzl
06-30-2021, 12:14 AM
I have finde something really interesting: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/319998-belt-buckle-turner-civil-war-just-buckle.html

The Milwaukee Turners:thumbsup02:

badgers325
06-30-2021, 04:10 PM
Menzl - You are a Rockstar!!!!! That is it and the best part is that these are made in Milwaukee. My buckle doesn't have the fancy engraving, but it is definitely punched with the same equipment or same jig/die was used. Well done!!!!:notworthy:

wisconsin digger
07-01-2021, 04:32 PM
Not much else to add other than WOW. The Large cent and Civil War Token are in great shape. Congrats on some amazing finds. WD

badgers325
07-03-2021, 07:26 PM
Thank you WD.

Digger Don
07-06-2021, 07:19 PM
Great bunch of finds, That large cent is a beauty, lots of detail, but that CW store card is amazing. Great Job!!! :envious: :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
08-10-2021, 08:24 PM
Have you cleaned up that CW token yet? I would love to see it all cleaned and waxed! It has such a beautiful patina.

Digger_O'Dell
09-28-2021, 05:53 PM
Those are some great finds! I've only ever found 2 LCs here in Wisconsin-one in a shallow ditch behind an old church in an area that used to be an animal pen back in the day. Just barely got a sketchy peep with the big coil on the CTX at max sensitivity. It was nearly 24" down! The other I found about 6" off the pavement on a roadway at an old cemetery. It was barely covered with dirt. I've also picked up a couple of those CW tokens around Wisconsin too. So there is stuff to be found here, just got to keep at it, and sometimes get lucky, or follow your hunches.