PDA

View Full Version : Short hunt and testing a new coil

coinnut
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Went for a short relic hunt to my old virgin site that I found a couple of years ago. I usually test new machines and coils there. It's a huge area, so if the test isn't very productive, I can always wander out and get some scraps lol Today was no different. I was going to try the Sunray X-12 Stealth coil out in an area close to the cellar hole that is littered with scrap iron and nails, but I decided to work my way there slowly. Well I got off course and wandered away from the hole to a distant part of the property that I didn't hit so hard. It's still overgrown, but I did manage one button and a mystery coin. I was hoping for half cent but it was not to be :crying02: It was only 2 1/2 down and was just a target that was previously missed. Finally made it to the hole and time was running out. I didn't find anything good with the 12 coil in the iron patch, so I decided to try the Sunray X-5 coil instead. Squeaked out another button and some small scrap but darkness finally set in. So no reports on the 12 coil yet, but it handled the higher sensitivities pretty well. I'll have to try it out at a park or a field to really give it a good workout. One button had a lot of gilt left on the underside and says Benedict & Cor Treble Gilt. The other one was older and had a unique way of attaching the shank (loop) to the button. I don't believe I have one like this.

jkress
09-21-2010, 08:04 AM
You got some nice stuff on your test drive.

I'll be watching how the new coil performs for you.

Good luck.

RobW
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Is that a 2 cent piece? Nice day of digging.

del
09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
not bad for a pounded site , your gilted button is an 1830's era one and the other does look somewhat older .whats with the 2 center it seems a little out of place for that site doesn't it :dontknow:

coinnut
09-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Is that a 2 cent piece? Nice day of digging.

Yep Rob, that's a 2 cent piece or what's left of it lol This area is really damaging on coppers. That's why we travel so much. This site is close to home, so I hit it when I just want a 10 minute drive.

not bad for a pounded site , your gilted button is an 1830's era one and the other does look somewhat older .whats with the 2 center it seems a little out of place for that site doesn't it :dontknow:

That 2 cent piece was probably the newest coin dropped there. I think I can make out a 7, so it could be an 1867. I have found a store card token there (1864), but most everything ranged from colonial to the 1830's. If the soil had been good to it, I probably would have had one like your 2 cent piece was. I'm sure it was brand new when dropped. crying01

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-22-2010, 07:27 AM
nice job G.i know that's a 2 cent piece! i may be crazy but, the 2 actually looks like a 3 in the pic :confused: weird !

angellionel
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Nice job picking out those targets from a worked-over site. It's amazing what can be missed even after many hunts. That 2-cent piece took a beating from the soil at that site. I have found a few that had been eaten away like that. They still make for nice finds though. Cool looking buttons too.

wild willy
09-22-2010, 07:42 PM
glad to see your testing coils george! i still use that cellar hole program ya set up on my dfx. it works good. hope to get out with you guys this fall just say the word. willy

coinnut
09-22-2010, 09:31 PM
glad to see your testing coils george! i still use that cellar hole program ya set up on my dfx. it works good. hope to get out with you guys this fall just say the word. willy

Hey Willy, Looks like we need to set up some mini group hunts lol 3 or 4 of you at a time. Would love to hit some farm fields closer to home (between Springfield and Worchester) and the same range for upper Connecticut. I still see some crops in the fields though :rolleyes: Glad that program is working for you. I wish I knew my machine better the last time we went out. That was a cool site!!

wild willy
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
ok ! get working on it son :yes: im game for wereever you want to go. your not that far away. willy

sniffy
09-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I have a spot I'd like to see what your little coil can sniff out. :yes:

coinnut
09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I have a spot I'd like to see what your little coil can sniff out. :yes:

This little coil is a monster lol Del told me to sniff out a couple of Indians at a cellar hole they had done, so I did it rofl :happydance01: Now he doesn't say anything :lipssealed:

del
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Del told me to sniff out a couple of Indians at a cellar hole they had done, so I did it rofl :happydance01: Now he doesn't say anything :lipssealed:

a great woman once told me if you don't have anything nice to say , don't say anything at all ;) lol lol

sniffy
09-28-2010, 05:01 PM
we should meet up....I'll show ya a spot I'd like to see that little coil work. :grin:

coinnut
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM
we should meet up....I'll show ya a spot I'd like to see that little coil work. :grin:

As soon as I get some free time, I'll PM you. Thanks for the offer. I am always trying to find better settings for this coil. I like to hit sites that someone else knows are littered with iron or have falsing issues. Sometimes I get nothing, but other times I get lots of non ferrous targets.

a great woman once told me if you don't have anything nice to say , don't say anything at all ;) lol lol

I was just being honest lol ;) After all you were trying to pull my chain :eyebrow:

sjv
09-29-2010, 08:23 AM
Hey coinnut. I checked the Button backmark site I use alot and it says Benedict &Coe 1829-1834. It's the first link under google. I just typed button back marks. that's how I found my Benedict & Burnham star button. Bensdict was involved for several years before it became the Waterbury Button company in 1849-1965 then Waterbury CO. S post 1965.

coinnut
09-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey coinnut. I checked the Button backmark site i use alot and it says Benedict &Coe 1829-1834.

Thanks Sal, That is a narrow time frame for a button manufacturer. It dates the sites well. thumbsup01