PDA

View Full Version : A bit of silver

Cheap Thrills
07-20-2021, 11:51 AM
One of my old sites , a School in a neighboring city built in in 1936 is in the process of having a large growth of Ivy plants removed . Over the years I've have found a small bit of silver , wheats ,clad , foreign coins, marbles etc.
Last Friday they started the tear out which consisted of the surface parts of the Ivy . The tops of the roots were still above ground and there were several
layers below ground . I had to use a pruning shear to cut thru several layers of buried roots . The digging was miserable and the kneeling on the surface roots was miserable .The first evenings two hour hunt gave me two broken down Hot wheels , two Golf balls and a whole lot of junk . I used my Nox 600 with the stock coil .

The next days two hour hunt I used the 6" and got two memorial Pennies a pitted parking token and more cans and junk .

Yesterday I took a quick scouting drive there and lo and behold they had run a Bobcat thru there and removed the tops of the roots .

I went back later with both coils for a almost three hour hunt .It started out badly . My wireless MPOW headphones which had previously performed well decided they would keep shutting down . Luckily I had brought my stock headphones and they worked well .

I started hunting and was getting nothing but junk .Needless to say I was feeling disappointed .I had been expecting to find something glorious .

Things started looking up when the Memorials started showing up ( I ended up with 18+3/4 of those I then got a clean high tone reaching 30 . This was the Silver Marines Sharpshooting badge . Great , at least I got something cool to show from this trip . I thought . After that the first of my 4 wheats showed up things are getting interesting

Another glorious high tone 30 and to my surprise a brilliant flash of silver
pops out of the ground , " ah , cool a Quarter " . I nearly soiled my shorts when I saw
it was a magnificent 1928 SLQ . Finally an age appropriate find for this old school .I was overjoyed !
Then came the 1943 S War Nickel more sweetness !
Three clad Quarters made into the pouch also .

Next I came into a very unusual find , a few 25/26 high beeps in one small area . This required some serious digging and the use of my pruning shears to get thru the roots , apparently some young Pirate had buried
his treasure , 8 Aluminum Presidential Shell tokens which have over the years become pitted and crusty . Although not valuable a fun find for me .I have yet to identify the Presidents . I also haven't had a chance to get the dates off my wheats .

It was a great night and I'm hoping as I am printing this that the gardener is driving that Bobcat at least one more time , " I shall return" .

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting !

Bucknut
07-20-2021, 12:43 PM
Great finds. Seems that someone posts a sharp shooters badge once a year or so and glad you did. I like the SLQ the best...my favorite coin type. I have not found one in over a year.

Cheap Thrills
07-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Great finds. Seems that someone posts a sharp shooters badge once a year or so and glad you did. I like the SLQ the best...my favorite coin type. I have not found one in over a year.

Thanks for the the kind words Bucknut . I was very happy to find the Badge , I don't find much military stuff and this was an exceptionally cool piece . The SLQ is my favorite also it's truly a fantastic piece of art . I hope your next one is soon and a stunner .
Best of luck to you !

badgers325
07-21-2021, 07:00 PM
Great finds! I also love the SLQ and the Badge. Two things I haven't found yet. That darn SLQ is still on the bucket list. Thank you for sharing. Hope the knees are feeling better.

wisconsin digger
07-22-2021, 02:08 PM
Great recoveries. Congrats especially on the SLQ. WD

Cheap Thrills
07-22-2021, 03:02 PM
Great finds! I also love the SLQ and the Badge. Two things I haven't found yet. That darn SLQ is still on the bucket list. Thank you for sharing. Hope the knees are feeling better.

Thanks Badger , The knees are better and I'm still excited about the SLQ and the Badge .Both those finds were truly unexpected . I wish you the best in luck finding both . The SLQ will most likely come first , they are totally awesome looking coins !

Great recoveries. Congrats especially on the SLQ. WD

Thanks WD , appreciate the comments .

UPDATE We ( my granddaughter and I ) went back for 3 hrs . She swung the M6 like a Pro and found her first Silver a 1942 D (also the first coin of the night and only silver ).She had a great time and can't wait to again ( music to my ears) .
Unfortunately she has to go home today ,The 5 coins on the left are her finds .
Of all my finds the only ones worth mentioning were 6 Wheats .
I hope to get back there this evening and maybe pull out one more silver .

OxShoeDrew
07-23-2021, 02:41 PM
aaawwww I can't wait to take my grandchildren detecting, they're not old enough yet. Your granddaughter lives far away?
My granddaughter lives very close to you and 3000 miles from me :girlcry:
I bet you were happier for her first silver than your SLQ. The date is crystal clear on that thing, congrats!!

Cheap Thrills
07-23-2021, 03:54 PM
aaawwww I can't wait to take my grandchildren detecting, they're not old enough yet. Your granddaughter lives far away?
My granddaughter lives very close to you and 3000 miles from me :girlcry:
I bet you were happier for her first silver than your SLQ. The date is crystal clear on that thing, congrats!!

Thanks Drew !
Your Grandchildren will be old enough to detect before you know it and if they like it you will be overjoyed ! She only lives about 50 miles away but her parents have busy work schedules and she has a lot of after School and weekend school activities to do , That was indeed the greatest moment of both her and my detecting career .That was a " meant to be find" !! We are both looking forward to our future trips together .