PDA

View Full Version : Big silvers and barbers!

Bucknut
07-28-2021, 02:04 PM
I rarely find big silver but I had a great experience a couple weeks ago. I have an older neighbor who lives in a home that is on an 1876 map. My boys did a little detecting of his yard a couple years ago but left after 30 minutes because they felt uncomfortable (they were only 11 and 13 at the time). I have never met him but I saw him mowing his yard and decided to go said hello. After chatting for a couple minutes he told me that he would pay my boys to weed whip his front ditch...I told him that I would be glad to do it … but can I detect your yard? He said sure.

The Florin is from Australia and dated 1942. I think it is 90% silver. Rang up a solid 34 on the Equinox. The other is a worn 1918 S Walker. I also found a few wheats and an indian from 1903. I plan to go back and do more when I weed whip the front ditch again. It took me about 10 minutes so I think I got paid fairly well.

The barber quarters came back to back (about 20 feet apart) at an old fairgrounds that I have gone over many times. The first was an obvious signal but the other one was barely a squeak.

I think Tony recently found one of these good luck tokens and was able to return it to the original owner. I don't think I will be able to do the same. There is an aluminum thimble that states Dailey or Sheriff...haven't looked it up but I bet it is from 1920s-40s.

I also found a sterling thimble at a parking lot tear out at an old school along with that black merc. The other merc is a 1916 minted in Phildelphia. Most of the other finds were from a few hunts at old parks.

Thanks for looking! Jared

Cheap Thrills
07-28-2021, 02:46 PM
WOW !!!!! Fantastic , That's the kind of site everyone dreams of . You really made out at that location and the Fairgrounds ! Great presentation of the play by play , photos and finds . I'm still struggling miserably with the proper lighting on some of my indoor photos .
It seems you have become one with your phone cam as well as your detector . Your "reveal" shots in the dirt are inspiring me to try to do the same .
Wise of your boys to leave when they did ! The guy may have been ok but you just never know . Thanks for taking the time to post . It seems to have slowed down with the posts here on the forum and this came at a great time .

Menzl
07-28-2021, 02:55 PM
Congratulations on this amount of silver. Beautiful coins! How did the Australian get to USA?:congrats:

wisconsin digger
07-28-2021, 05:05 PM
Wow, that's an impressive group of finds. Don't see Barber Quarters look that nice as well. Great finds. WD

Full Metal Digger
07-28-2021, 05:38 PM
DAMN boy! I would weed whack all day if I could find coins like that! Congrats! I love that Australian coin too. When you dug it up did you get a crazy desire to put some shrimp on the barbie? LOL. What is the BP (RP?) button?

Bucknut
07-28-2021, 06:31 PM
DAMN boy! I would weed whack all day if I could find coins like that! Congrats! I love that Australian coin too. When you dug it up did you get a crazy desire to put some shrimp on the barbie? LOL. What is the BP (RP?) button?

At first I thought the Florin was possibly a 4 real since there was a shield on it but once the dirt fell off I could see the date and I knew it was not Spanish silver .

No idea about that button. It’s made out of lead but the patina does not seem that old.

Noah
07-28-2021, 08:57 PM
Always amazed at what people still find at old parks. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
07-30-2021, 12:00 PM
Wow, Jared! I was also interested in the BP button...looks old in the pic but I guess it is just in an old style. Excellent finds, all around!