PDA

View Full Version : A real old Nickel tonight

Cheap Thrills
07-29-2021, 02:31 AM
After last nights hunt at the old school which produced 2 coins in 1+3/4 hrs. I decided I'd put in 2hrs. tonight with the Explorer with the 6x8 coil. The first 1+1/2 hrs . I dug only junk and solid signals were far and few between . I almost packed up and left but I decided I wanted to find at least one coin .
A memorial copper penny showed up shortly thereafter. Next came a pipsqueak of a high tone the Smartfind showed all the way top right . Of course it had to be six inches under a whole bunch of crisscrossing Ivy roots.
I had to get on the old knees which I don't particularly like to do but In got a nice 36S Merc dime out of the deal ( it was caked with dirt and I didn't know which type it was until I got home and rinsed it off ) . As I was making my way back to the car I got a nice Nickel signal .I couldn't tell what it was either because it was pretty dirty and worn but I figured it was just another one of those foreign coins I had been finding there . I was both shocked and happy to see it was a V nickel I had to use my Microscopic camera and hold a small flashlight just right for lighting to make out a date ,it's an 1886 !
Needless to say " I shall return" .

wisconsin digger
07-29-2021, 04:16 AM
Great find. Key date coins don't pop up much (I guess that's why they are key dates). Congrats on the recoveries. WD

Bucknut
07-29-2021, 04:57 AM
I love old nickels! Well done

Cheap Thrills
07-29-2021, 12:22 PM
Great find. Key date coins don't pop up much (I guess that's why they are key dates). Congrats on the recoveries. WD

Thanks WD , I hadn't even realized it was a key date , sweet ! I'll have to take a look in my Blue book of coins and read up on it .

I love old nickels! Well done

Thanks Bucknut , i do as well , this one was a most unexpected and thrilling find !

Digger Don
07-30-2021, 09:07 AM
Great job! Love digging those old nickels:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
07-30-2021, 12:57 PM
You're hot lately, George! I love making a good find on the way to the car. Keep it up!!:thumbsup02:

Cheap Thrills
07-30-2021, 06:43 PM
Great job! Love digging those old nickels:congrats:

Thanks Don ! Every time I get a really oxidized nickel , I'm hoping it's a buffalo or older . It doesn't happen very often for me .

You're hot lately, George! I love making a good find on the way to the car. Keep it up!!:thumbsup02:

Thanks Drew , I'm hoping I can manage to pull another goodie or two out of there . The targets are really dwindling now . Last night I hunted there for a little over an hour and got two Memorial pennies and the usual junk . I kind of knew that it was junk but I was hoping for a miracle . This place has got to have at least one Indian head penny there , that would be another fun find for me as I have not found very many at all in my career ( 3 to be exact ) .

Ill Digger
08-12-2021, 06:35 PM
Sweet!
Nice find(s) George! :thumbsup02:
Congrats on the V and Merc!
I love finding the old nickels too!
I hope your able to squeak out a IH or 2 out of your spot. If the V is there, there stands a real good chance that there at least one laying there waiting for ya!
Go get it! :crossfingers:

Cheap Thrills
08-13-2021, 10:35 AM
Sweet!
Nice find(s) George! :thumbsup02:
Congrats on the V and Merc!
I love finding the old nickels too!
I hope your able to squeak out a IH or 2 out of your spot. If the V is there, there stands a real good chance that there at least one laying there waiting for ya!
Go get it! :crossfingers:

Thanks Timmy ! I've went back and pounded that spot hard several more times . I had no more luck I'm done there unless they scrape the soil again .

Menzl
08-15-2021, 09:19 AM
Great coins. It's amazing how good and clean the old silver comes out of the ground. Seems like a good alloy. I bet you see these coins glowing in the moonlight. Congratulations!

Cheap Thrills
08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Great coins. It's amazing how good and clean the old silver comes out of the ground. Seems like a good alloy. I bet you see these coins glowing in the moonlight. Congratulations!

Thanks , this spot in particular was very kind to all the silver finds . Some spots like parks and sport fields which have been heavily fertilized can really mess them up .

badgers325
08-16-2021, 11:46 AM
Way to stick it out Cheap Thrills. You were rewarded minus getting on the knees part.

Cheap Thrills
08-16-2021, 12:17 PM
Way to stick it out Cheap Thrills. You were rewarded minus getting on the knees part.

Thanks Badger ! I've been back a few times since but without much luck .