PDA

View Full Version : Insane Asylum hunt (Video Added)

Beefcake
09-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Don and I got out for a rare hunt together at an Insane Asylum. This place is pretty wild. The state ran it for years and years, but they decided to close it about 4 or 5 years ago. This site is over 1200 acres of awesome hunting spots. The buildings are still quite usable, but they all sit empty. There is the main asylum and probably 8 other buildings on the property. There are sidewalks to nowhere that look like they were made for a wheel chair that lead to different old growth tree groves. The site is mowed pretty regularly by the township and was taken over by them when the state gave it up. The site has alot of history to it and dates back to the 1930's with older history of structures that have long since been removed, but I think we have an old map to find them. We hunted for about 4 hours there and didn't get very far. I pulled 7 wheaties and 3 silvers (Washington and two Rosies) and Don got one Rosie and 5 wheaties. Don also got a really cool Matt Dillon US Marshall badge there too. I took video of the hunt and of the facility to give an idea of how vast this place is and I'll post it within the next couple days. Here's the pictures... Makes silvers #52, 53, and 54 for me on the year...
Insane Asylum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhDVm0dFtA#)

milco
09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Very nice hunt! There are some sites around here like that, but no go on getting permission due to liability reasons and there the place sits with all its buildings just rotting away! Glad to hear you pulled some nice finds out of there!

RobW
09-21-2010, 07:14 AM
We have one around here, samething. The place just sends chills down by back when I drive by, its ssssooo erie looking. Don't think I could spend any time there with headphones on. My mind would be playing tricks on me....or was it my mind? Nice finds!

jkress
09-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Congrats on your silver!! A quarter is always a welcome addition.

Like the others have mentioned, there is an old, old asylum a short road trip away from my town too. It also shut down a couple of years ago.

I have had it on my list to call and get permission, but haven't done it yet. Figured it is probably a long shot... but ya never know until you try.

With a lot of these types of places shutting down... makes you wonder where the patients are going:huh: I think I ran into one former patient the other day. He comes up to me while metal detecting to chit chat. Said last weekend he found 4 1962 silver dollars. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Nice hunt BF.

Jason in Enid
09-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Great hunt!

I never would have thought about hunting a place like that. Since the guests wouldn't have any money, or jewelry, I wouldnt expect there to be anything to find. Kudos to you for hunting a cool location and pulling silver to boot!

RobW
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Congrats on your silver!! A quarter is always a welcome addition.

Like the others have mentioned, there is an old, old asylum a short road trip away from my town too. It also shut down a couple of years ago.

I have had it on my list to call and get permission, but haven't done it yet. Figured it is probably a long shot... but ya never know until you try.

With a lot of these types of places shutting down... makes you wonder where the patients are going:huh: I think I ran into one former patient the other day. He comes up to me while metal detecting to chit chat. Said last weekend he found 4 1962 silver dollars. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Nice hunt BF.

In our area, they just turned them loose. We now have a serious homless problem and they wonder around on the streets. I too encounter them while detecting. They seem to have no problem coming and talking with ya, no matter what.

catskillcomics
09-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Nice Hunt, and silver to boot!!! which is always nice.. Looks like you have a place that will keep you busy for a while.. just wait, you'll hit a honey spot there that will be loaded with coins, maybe an employee break area..

rsarge1
09-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Nice Hunt, and silver :clapping:

coinnut
09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I bet they used to have picnics on family day or something like that. Visitations may have been outside just to get them out for a while. Seems like a site that will have many, many silvers and maybe some strange finds too :shocked04: lol You get the best sites BC thumbsup01

Beefcake
09-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I've got some sweet sites to hunt, but we don't get anything like you guys with the cellar holes and old colonial stuff. I'm guessing they would get the residents out in the groves as much as possible to get some exercise and fresh air. Seems everything we have found have been in pockets or hotspots.

jkress
09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
I too encounter them while detecting. They seem to have no problem coming and talking with ya, no matter what.

Yeah, the guy that found the 4 1962 silver dollars :confused: asked if I would mind if he tried my machine for a couple of swings. I thought... what the heck. I unplugged my ear phones and let him give it a whirl. I may not be the fastest guy anymore... but I could tell that catching this guy, if he took off with my Minelab, wasn't going to be a problem. lol

...... sorry to get off on a sidetrack with your thread BC.

CyberSage
09-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Nice hunt Beef! Your pulling a lot of Silver this year. I bet you got kind of sentimental about going back to your old haunts. rofl

Beefcake
09-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Remind me to photoshop that picture of the tree carved Yaaaay,,,,Jack was here! <:

Epi-hunter
09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
With a lot of these types of places shutting down... makes you wonder where the patients are going:huh:

They are now called mental health facilities and there are inpatient and outpatient versions. The new politically correct term. lol I did sixteen weeks of training in an inpatient one, and 8 weeks in an outpatient one. And worked in one last year when I was practicing, where I ended up with a broken ankle when ducking from a patient who threw a chair at me. :dontknow: So, yes, they are still around!

Brian, great results! When I worked at Iowa my office was in what used to be an old tuberculosis hospital, and surrounding it was the insane asylum as they called it then. I was never able to get permission to detect.

Ill Digger
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Dang dude !! Your just pilin' up the silvers man!! Good for you !!
You'll grow old and gray before hunting out that spot !! Lots of ground to cover there :yes: thumbsup01 8)
It was good to see Don gettin' out to do a little MDin' !!
Next time you talk to him, tell him I said, hello. Would ya ? We roomed together at the DFXonly hunt.
Congrats to both of ya !! :grin:

Beefcake
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Video is added... You're right Epi, guess I'm not very PC... This place was rather notorious in our area of not being the best of places to be at. I believe they were the last in Ohio to perform a lobotomy. They wanted to make a scary movie at this location too, but the community didn't want that kind of exposure.

Beefcake
09-22-2010, 11:40 PM
His divorce is all finalized and he's ready to roll now!!! :peace: I'll tell you you said hey!

Ill Digger
09-22-2010, 11:44 PM
His divorce is all finalized and he's ready to roll now!!! :peace: I'll tell you you said hey!
Good deal !! Thanks! thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
another sweet video Bri! some very cool finds and that place will keep ya busy for many years i bet thumbsup01