PDA

View Full Version : help with this one

hockeyguy
11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I found this about 3 weeks ago and assumed it was a LC as there is a facing right silhouette on the front. It has been soaking in mineral oil since and upon inspection ( I was looking for the wreath or one cent on the back) I noticed a line with a date underneath! it says 17?7 under the green blob.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?

Aaron

del
11-17-2009, 09:39 AM
if the bust is facing right its most likely a British copper half penny ( King George III) but it is possible for it to be one of the following as well ( Connecticut copper , Vermont copper , or even a New York copper or even a counterfiet copper of any of the above ) the only way to be sure is to get more detail from the coin and a date.

Dan

MNDigger
11-17-2009, 07:15 PM
WTG on the copper Aaron! Good luck with the ID! I would help but I haven't got a clue! :-\

Krom
11-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I'd say (where there's a line inside that circle - date below it), that would signify early 1700's to me.
Only found one like that... 1724.

Epi-hunter
11-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I'd say (where there's a line inside that circle - date below it), that would signify early 1700's to me.
Only found one like that... 1724.

:shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher:

Great find, whatever it is!

Krom
11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
:shocked04:stretcher: :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher:

Great find, whatever it is!

I'm sorry, Angie. I can be ruthless when I post, huh? :grin:
What I meant was, where the circle is (inside, near the top of it), there's a line.
Below that line, is where I think the date should be.

coinnut
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Real hard to tell what it is, but I think Del is right on with what it is. You would need to pull some words from around the Obverse or Reverse to see excatly what you have. But it's a colonial copper (pre US mint) and that's always a nice find. And the date being so high up on the coin is unusual. Most of the time it's almost cut off from the bottom of the coin. It may have been struck off center. Keep working it and write down any letters you can make out.

hockeyguy
11-18-2009, 08:38 PM
thanks much guys....i will keep working on it.....i though colonial copper referred to a US pre revoutionary coin...i really thought this was british.. you think it may be US?

coinnut
11-18-2009, 08:46 PM
thanks much guys....i will keep working on it.....i though colonial copper referred to a US pre revoutionary coin...i really thought this was british.. you think it may be US?

A lot of our early US coppers looked like the British coinage. When they are that corroded, you have you see what the writing around the portrait says. Also sometimes you can tell by the size of the coin, but not always. Try and get any letters that are around the portrait front or back, and maybe we can guess at it better.