PDA

View Full Version : 1930s-60s Scout camp

badgers325
11-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

I hit a scout camp last Sunday since it was windy and drizzly and I thought the woods would help with that (it did). I have hit this before and found quite a few wheats. I have pounded it hard likely with a bunch of others over the years. Last year I found two Fiskars shovels from others metal detecting and they lost their shovels. I kept them since they didn't fill their holes, then donated to Goodwill. Let's call that karma.

Tootsie car that is about 5.25". That rang up nice.
Jet - no markings, but looks like a 1920s-40s type toy
3 wheats (194x for 2 of them, 193x for the 3rd). Wheats come out of the ground ugly here.
Sterling silver ring was a surprise. Need to do some digging on it. The "stone" part shines really neat. Tough to see in the photo, but it there is what appears to be a duck behind the helmet flying up.
Red Ryder Lucky coin - JCPenny sold these in the 1930s-40s if I remember correctly.

Hitting wheat penny park on Saturday morning. Going to try the grassy areas and only dig 6+ inch targets.

Menzl
11-20-2021, 01:46 PM
Hello, great finds. Is this object a knot for the collar? Or some kind of medal? The ring with the gem is nice too. Must be some 20s or 30s. That's funny that you found two spades. What a coincidence. I also once found two pin pointers in the woods.

Cheap Thrills
11-20-2021, 04:53 PM
Nice finds , congrats ! That Red Ryder medallion is in great shape ! I found one in a local park two years ago . Not as good a condition as yours but still highly prized .

https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=455589&stc=1&d=1576999755

Cheap Thrills
11-20-2021, 04:57 PM
Here's the back .

https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=455588&stc=1&d=1576999755

wisconsin digger
11-20-2021, 06:55 PM
Nice finds. I'm working on a scout camp upnorth for next year. On my quest for wheaties I found more silver than wheaties today ( 4 silver dimes and 3 wheaties). I think I may have jinxed myself. Hope you did well today it was a nice day for detecting. WD

OxShoeDrew
11-21-2021, 06:36 AM
Very nice high conductors...do you have much more land to hunt? Congrats, Darryl!

badgers325
11-22-2021, 10:26 AM
WD - ended up with 4 wheaties, no silver on Saturday. Found an old pewter spoon bowl though. The spot I hunt has mid-1800s movement of people, so maybe I will get lucky. Trying to find a nail patch where the original log cabin would have sat. Needle in a haystack.

Drew - I hit this camp pretty hard last year on all the obvious spots. Now I am orbiting around it. Not really much left to hunt unless I rent a bulldozer and get rid of all the scrub trees. It is a PITA to hunt with a zillion small yearling or two trees (especially in the fall).

Menzl - object on the right is a knot for the scarves (forgetting the real word for this) that the boy scouts wear. Thing on left is the tip of the airplane. Needed to prop up the ring.

Cheap - Cool! Kind of fun when others find the same thing in a different part of the country.

fyrffytr1
11-22-2021, 10:15 PM
Nice finds. Is the Red Ryder token related to the Daisy Red Ryder bb gun?

Cheap Thrills
11-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Nice finds. Is the Red Ryder token related to the Daisy Red Ryder bb gun?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=red+ryder+tokens&qpvt=redrydertokens&FORM=IGRE

badgers325
11-23-2021, 12:25 PM
fyrr - I believe it is related to JC Penny as a good luck token. I know there are Red Ryder BB Gun tokens too, but they have a different stamp on them. Maybe there is a correlation, but I so not think they are related.

BTV Digger
11-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Nice finds! Love the older token.

John