PDA

View Full Version : Continental Navy button

del
11-28-2021, 07:48 PM
Got an invite today in northern Massachusetts , there was actually about a half inch of snow on the ground :shocked04: we hit a huge colonial deep in the woods and it was
a "button day" for me . in spite of finding a nice pair of cufflinks my find of the day was this Revolutionary war era Continental Navy officer's button .6981569816

These dated from about 1775 to about 1790 you can read more about the history here The Continental Navy The French Colonial Troops & MarinesThe British Royal Navy – George Washington Inaugural Buttons (https://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/the-american-continental-navy-1748-1785-the-british-royal-navy-1748-182518th-century-french-navy-button-styles/)

Dan

Full Metal Digger
11-28-2021, 09:04 PM
Nice find Del, congrats on saving another part of our history!

wisconsin digger
11-28-2021, 10:38 PM
Great recovery, congrats. WD

fyrffytr1
11-28-2021, 11:45 PM
That's a really nice button. I don't find any like that in southwest Georgia.

del
11-29-2021, 03:46 PM
The cufflinks have a nice patina 69818

Nice find Del, congrats on saving another part of our history!

Dave , the old military items have a special place in my heart so it was awe inspiring to flip this large button around and see the pronounced anchor . Thanks sir !

Great recovery, congrats. WD

Thank you WD , this button has been on my list for a long time but i didn't expect to find one.

That's a really nice button. I don't find any like that in southwest Georgia.

I was surprised many found in the link are recovered in Massachusetts , which is odd to me . Thanks

badgers325
11-29-2021, 04:21 PM
Great find Del! Awesome piece of history there.

The Rebel
11-29-2021, 07:23 PM
Beautiful finds Dan!

Lodge Scent
11-29-2021, 07:48 PM
'Tis a beauty Dan! It would be cool to know what vessels he served on. The cufflinks alone would have made a nice hunt.

del
11-29-2021, 07:58 PM
Great find Del! Awesome piece of history there.

Thank you sir.

Beautiful finds Dan!

Thank you Roger .

'Tis a beauty Dan! It would be cool to know what vessels he served on. The cufflinks alone would have made a nice hunt.

Jeff , that would be cool to narrow down , I agree about the links they were a low VDI (67 very close to .22 shells) on the deus . The navy button is a large one and i actually pulled a decent size broken nail out of the hole first but I knew it wasn't what i heard for a signal.

OxShoeDrew
11-30-2021, 10:19 AM
Excellent finds, Dan! Remember the "button hole?" I never made it to that one but I do remember us getting a pile of buttons at another site.

Donnie B
11-30-2021, 10:29 PM
:envious::pirate::perfect10::congrats:There's not enough words to say about that button. It's historic!

Cheap Thrills
12-02-2021, 04:53 PM
Congrats on some incredible relics and the great pictures!

del
12-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Excellent finds, Dan! Remember the "button hole?" I never made it to that one but I do remember us getting a pile of buttons at another site.

Drew , Donnie I and a couple others took some deus machines out to the "button hole" and we did pull out even more buttons that were masked by either iron or mineralization on the older technology . Hit those old sites with the new machines . Thanks

:envious::pirate::perfect10::congrats:There's not enough words to say about that button. It's historic!

Donnie you would of enjoyed yourself at that site it was nice an open tons of room to swing , thank's

Congrats on some incredible relics and the great pictures!

I gotta start taking more pictures of these old sites as I'm thinking about writing a book or detecting manual for future hobbyists to learn about what to look for . I appreciate the comments George .

Dan

Cheap Thrills
12-03-2021, 04:36 PM
I gotta start taking more pictures of these old sites as I'm thinking about writing a book or detecting manual for future hobbyists to learn about what to look for . I appreciate the comments George .

Dan

Dan ,

When and if you right that book or manual I will be one of the first to purchase one (good Lord willing). :thumbsup01:

BTV Digger
12-04-2021, 09:16 AM
Wonderful finds Dan! Your methods of cleaning buttons always impresses me. There's a slim chance I could make it look the way you do. Congrats!

John

calabash digger
12-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Nice button!

del
12-08-2021, 09:27 AM
Nice button!Thanks , I owe you the credit for finding it . Your pitch program in the iron and pulled out an old nail first before the button .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

calabash digger
12-08-2021, 09:50 AM
You are welcome! I am getting the new Deus 2 and will be putting it through the test. Will keep you guys updated. I tried posting here this morning and it uploaded my pics so I will be back posting here.

del
12-08-2021, 10:34 AM
You are welcome! I am getting the new Deus 2 and will be putting it through the test. Will keep you guys updated. I tried posting here this morning and it uploaded my pics so I will be back posting here.

Yeah I'm looking toward seeing your take on its features and capabilities CD , please keep us informed on your videos .

Dan