PDA

View Full Version : 12 Super coil - what are the applications for a big coil

catskillcomics
09-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Hey folks, so I've been in the market for Inline Pinpointer for the my DFX, I happened to find an auction which not only has the inline pinpointer, but also comes with a 12 super coil..

I'm thinking of selling the coil to offset the cost of the pinpointer, but now I am thinking maybe its something I could use, but not too sure in what situations would I need a big coil.
Is the bigger coil suppose to give depth? or just able to cover large areas quicker? Also, if anyone here has used one before, how did work for you??

Any input would be appreciated.
Scott

coinnut
09-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Hey folks, so I've been in the market for Inline Pinpointer for the my DFX, I happened to find an auction which not only has the inline pinpointer, but also comes with a 12 super coil..

I'm thinking of selling the coil to offset the cost of the pinpointer, but now I am thinking maybe its something I could use, but not too sure in what situations would I need a big coil.
Is the bigger coil suppose to give depth? or just able to cover large areas quicker? Also, if anyone here has used one before, how did work for you??

Any input would be appreciated.
Scott

My best advice is put it on and hit that silver patch area again nice and slow (but not too slow, it is a DFX ;)) They don't like to go super slow. If you find silver after all the detectors that went over that area, then you will keep it lol Great for fields and yes coverage at the beach or in long fields is where it's at. Probably a bit more depth too, but not much is my guess.

catskillcomics
09-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh My... A reply thumbsup01 Thank you.. I guess I'll give it a shot before deciding on selling it or not... I have the perfect place to give it a try.. Thanks George

Lowjiber
09-23-2010, 06:18 AM
I have a 12 super coil that's pretty deep on my MXT and V3i. Of course, being concentric, it's a bit more sensitive to EMI than a DD. That's a pretty big deal in my neck-o-the-woods, so it doesn't get a lot of use.

I don't really have anything in particular to say...good or bad. I'm not a dedicated relic hunter, but would imagine it would do very well in open areas.

CyberSage
09-23-2010, 07:18 AM
I am a huge fan of the Super12 coil on the DFX. Possibly one of the best coils made for the DFX in my opinion. I developed a pretty good program for it on the DFX. I have the information posted on this thread here on the forum. Here is a link if you want to give it a try.

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=104.msg7615#msg7615

Jack

sjv
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I have 15 black one for my XLT i got for writing an article on the Whites website. I call it the black toilet seat :grin: :grin:. The thing is it doesn't have a whole in the middle. So how am I supposed to get a close estimate where to dig. I could be off a few inches off one side or the other, it's so bulky and not good for cellar holes. Good for fields like you said coinnut. I also got the tiny 3x5 football shaped coil. I can't imagine getting much depth. I only used it once or twice. I wish White's sold better coils for the XLT. :ticked:

Jason in Enid
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Sjv, use a ruler to find the center point and mark it on the top of the coil with a dab of nail polish or something else durable and visible. Get one of those spring-steel metal probes if you don't have one already. Once you pinpoint the target; plant the coil on the ground, hold your probe directly over you mark, move the coil and push the probe into the ground to mark the spot. Now you can move the detector where you want, get out digging tools, or what ever you need and your pinpoint spot stays marked!

kenfen
09-26-2010, 08:59 AM
The author of &quot:grin:ancing with the DFX was a big fan of that coil, if I remember correctly. I'd keep it, if I were you.

I wanted to hang onto my DFX, but alas the wife said no E-Trac without the DFX going out the door.... :ticked:

Regards, Ken

coinnut
09-26-2010, 07:12 PM
I wanted to hang onto my DFX, but alas the wife said no E-Trac without the DFX going out the door.... :ticked:

Regards, Ken

So you kept the wife?? 8/ lol

del
09-27-2010, 06:22 AM
het Scott i agree with the concensus , keep the coil it has almost 60% more coverage than the standard 950 and that makes a big difference in an open field , more coverage usually means more targets to find.

catskillcomics
09-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the responses.. I'll keep the 12 for now, and give it a try..

Dick Stout
10-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Great for those supposedly hunted out areas.... Go slow and dig any audible signals, no matter how faint. JMO.

coinnut
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Great for those supposedly hunted out areas.... Go slow and dig any audible signals, no matter how faint. JMO.

Thank God for supposedly hunted out sites lol We live off of them now. How I yearn for the old days and easy pickins :yes:

danhughes
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I've personally never cared much for large coils. They are too heavy and too hard to keep parallel to the ground and close to the ground. You can't run them close to fences or other metal objects, and stray bits of metal make them unstable.

Having said all that, I'll add that if I were into relics I'd probably love the large coils. But most of my hunting is for coins, and the regular coil is usually your best bet.

---Dan